Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pertinax sestertius  (Read 2153 times)

Offline perporius

• Caesar
Pertinax sestertius
« on: October 02, 2008, 03:44:10 am »
I have noticed this coin being offered for sale on Spain eBay (23,7 gr., 31 mm).

What do you think?

Best regards...

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
Re: Pertinax sestertius
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 03:51:10 am »

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 11:07:56 am »
Why would someone tool a fake?

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 01:06:34 pm »

One reason might be, to make it not look like a "die" match with other fakes.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 02:54:26 pm »
OK, although I would assume that if someone is sophisticated enough to look for a die match, that any additional tooling wouldn't throw that person for a loop?  THe die would still look identical, just with additional detail.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 03:16:52 pm »
Maybe just to make it look better to the people that buy this stuff?
Andreas Reich

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 05:04:55 pm »
OK, although I would assume that if someone is sophisticated enough to look for a die match, that any additional tooling wouldn't throw that person for a loop?  THe die would still look identical, just with additional detail.

You often see casts that have been altered or damaged to disguise their nature and their similarity to the original.   If tooling makes such a coin coin look sufficiently different, then maybe someone won't think to check other details and discover a match.  But I certainly don't assert that this is the reason for this tooling - I only suggest that it is a possible reason for tooling a fake.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 06:20:41 pm »

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=24

I can't see the link....

Yeah, Its a dynamic link and there is a trick to it which I unfortunatly keep forgetting.

As to why someone would tool a fake.,,,,,,we've seen as such here before. I would also propose its an effort to conceal casting faults or softness. Either way, its somewhat evident to the eye od an intermediate collector.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 06:28:55 pm »
Yeah, Its a dynamic link and there is a trick to it which I unfortunatly keep forgetting.

Click the "I" icon a the top left of the fake report, then copy the url that appears below the report.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 01:39:07 am »

Maybe, just a thought, to make it look tooled. I mean (from the "doctoring guy") : if the coin looks tooled, then nobody would think it's a fake coin, and Pertinax coins (or other rare emperors) are so rare, people will prefer to get a tooled one than none...

Does it make sense ?

Regards
Potator

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 05:13:45 pm »
At first glance it just looks tooled. At the second glance, the style doesn't ring true.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 03:05:02 am »
Just to let you know, I won the bid for this coin. I have no intention of buying it - however I spotted it at the last moment and wanted to prevent somebody from making an expensive mistake. The seller has been a reliable and honest dealer for some time, and I suspect he has been given bad supplies. I have let him know the coin is fake.

Best regards,
Richard

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 06:12:22 am »

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 09:39:53 am »
Quite apart from the broken link, I can't find an example of this particular coin in the fake reports at all.  ???

Yes, in my hurry to post, I  mistook the reverse for a Letitia Temporum type of which there are many in the fake reports. My mistake!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity