Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: from crusty to cleaned in only 17 months :(  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
from crusty to cleaned in only 17 months :(
« on: September 03, 2008, 07:19:37 pm »
been  slowly  working on this coin  for 17 months.  (  I know,  I must be nuts  for spending so much time on a common campgate )  but  in all honesty,  I've enjoyed it alot,  and learned alot too,  but  almost  sent this one to the copper recycling  gods

The coin was in a weird encrustation/ going  from  cement hard rock on the outside, to a even harder rock/cement/ steel like deposit  the further I went  and the occasional  soft spot thrown into the mix

Now  for the record   I don't like zapping,  but in this case,  the cement  showed no signs of moving at all  for 6 months or more of soaks and brushing and picking.  so I decided to move up to more drastic measures.

I removed as much as possible with normal soaks ,  then  ran 6 volts  throught it in 1 hour cycles  for the next few months (  around  100-150 cycles) all the while  removing minute amounts of dirt with picks  and brushes..... and the results were quite  surprising.

I was in all honesty  expecting a un-attributable, moon cratered surface under the dirt, but as the rock  slowly  gave way in microscopic amounts, and The closer I got to the surface of the coin   the bigger the chunks  of dirt that were comming off,

as I reached the surface,  it was comming  off with just light pressure in thin slices  ( like big pieces of ice falling  off the glaciers )  but instead of revealing the cratered remnants of a coin,  it began to reveal a coin  wich still showed a fantastic amount of details  on both sides with  just small amounts of damage to the reverse,  and even  less damage to the obverse.  However,  the patina  was obviously damaged

This pic is of the coin  after a few dellars applications.  I am not sure  is the zapping  was enough to loosen  and crack the dirt/rock   but  the surface was nearly free of pitting.  The zapping  was followed  by picking/brashing  then  usually  a few more runs in the zapping bath, and  an overnight drying ,   and repeat

I assume that the coin had a very thin layer at the surface of the coin  wich was covered by the concrete,  but  I am really glad it was there.  I don't hink the zapping  did anything to save the surface of this coin

the coin attributes as follow

AE 18 mm3.0  grams
OBV  ::  CONSTAN-TINVS AVG. pearled diadem head right
REV  ::  PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG. Campgate with 8 rows, 2 turrets, no door  and star above
EX  ::  SMK  :Greek_Delta:  :dot:
RIC VII Cyzicus 55
RIC rated R3
From uncleaned lot 04/2007
modern patina

anyone else have beaten  the odds with crusty coins they thought were imposible  just to get a real nice specimen out of the deal

I'd be interested to hear about it

P.S.  from now,  I'm  going to start taking  more  defore pics of problem coins  in the event that they would be useful in the future

cheers

CzarMike

Re: from crusty to cleaned in only 17 months :(
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 07:29:48 pm »
I had a similar thing going for me but myne was in DW for 3 months and I only did around 10 zapps with 9v. It ended up to be silver plated and still had some silver left on it, still haven't attributed yet tho.

Anyway nice coin, I always like campgates they are the my favorite of the common coins I have

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 06:01:54 am »
Thanks CzarMike

I don't know what happened to this one,  by rights,  the encrustation should have consumed all of the coin,  a chemical reaction   ?  the patina protected the coin ?  or loose dirt on the coin prior to being covered by the rocky stuff  ...

LOL  now I'm going to have to go back  and take science classes  to figure it out

cheers

CzarMike

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 06:44:22 am »
Ive only takin high school chem but I would guess that the patina stopped all chemical reactions on the surface of the coin stopping it from becoming coin mush. Happens with reactions that evenly cover the coin and doesn't let any molecules get to the surface of the coin.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 08:01:48 am »
17 months!  No way do I have your patience.  I would have drilled a small hole in the encrustation, wedged in a firecracker, lit the fuse, yelled "fire in the hole!" and then looked for the pieces to figore out what I had.

Very nice job, Johnny. 

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 09:44:48 am »
17 months! Pshah!  I have some of the first batch of uncleaned that I acquired just a little over two years ago, that are still soaking or "in progress". Could be that I won't admit that some are slugs or corroded beyond any possible help.
Raymond 
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 07:22:34 pm »
  I would have drilled a small hole in the encrustation, wedged in a firecracker, lit the fuse, yelled "fire in the hole!" and then looked for the pieces to figore out what I had.

now I have something  else to try  :) LOL man,  this is gonna hurt even  worse than using a tazer on my left nipple  to see what it felt like :evil:  good thing I have a standing reservation at the local intensive care ward  :)

@ Raymond  I still have some  from my second batch soaking , but  I have serious doubt about any of them being salvagle  or even  partly attributable

LOL  I'm  like you ,  I can't stop cleaning  until I know 100%  that it's a dud.  So i have at any one time  100 or so in the various soaks. 

I am soooo  hooked to ancient, :)

CzarMike

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 11:03:18 pm »
johnny you gave me a good idea, Tazer+Crusty=Uber fast zapping?  ZZZZzzzzzz....t

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 07:59:22 pm »
LOL   just remember not to be holding the coin while zapping  with a tazer,  :)

CzarMike

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 08:39:09 pm »
"Don't taze me bro!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity