Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pius 533 unrecorded dupondius?  (Read 596 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Pius 533 unrecorded dupondius?
« on: August 27, 2008, 12:01:48 pm »
This coin was in the mail today: advertised as a dupondius, but very hard to see in the pics. I decided to buy it anyway and indeed! it is a dupondius.

(IMP T AEL CAES H)ADR ANTONINVS AVG PIVS , radiate head right /
PM TR P-OT COS II  S-C in field Fortuna standing right, head right, holding rudder (not on globe?) and cornucopiae.
Dupondii of this series are not recorded in RIC.

Who can help?

Frans

PS:  11.65 gr ; 6 o'clock strike

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Pius 533 unrecorded dupondius?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 01:25:52 am »
Strack 753 lists this dupondius from the Florence collection, without image.

Here is another that I got from Forvm two years ago: from the same obverse die as yours, but from a different reverse die, on which there is definitely no globe below the rudder.

14.08g, also 6h.
Curtis Clay

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 02:47:39 am »
Thank you Curtis!

I am quite happy with your response. but there remains just the question: does Strack add a cat. number to this coin?

regards,

Frans

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 09:44:59 am »
I have added the Strack number, which I didn't have at home when I sent my first response.
Curtis Clay

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 10:48:58 am »
Thanks a lot!
The Strack volumes are nearly impossible to obtain and if any are for sale, they are the volumes 1 and 2. A complete set sold at a thousand dollars in 2006!
I am going to talk to the management of the new money and coin museum in Utrecht to make a digitized version of Strack, assuming there are no rights on the work anymore.

kind regards,

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity