Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID of Islamic silver coin  (Read 972 times)

Offline pierre_p77

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
ID of Islamic silver coin
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:55:05 am »
DonĀ“t know how to interprete this coins, but I would be appreciating very much if anyone can help me identify it. And tell me what the inscriptions means.

Best
Pierre

Manzikert

Re: ID of Islamic silver coin
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 02:07:58 pm »
Hi Pierre

It is an Umayyad dirhem struck at Wasit in year 112 H (730-31 AD), under the caliph Hisham (105-125 H/ 724-743 AD)

The obverse (lower picture) has the Muslim declaration of faith, 'There is no God except Allah. He is alone, he has no partner', and the inscription round this says 'In the name of Allah, this dirhem was struck in Wasit in the year twelve and one hundred' starting at the top right marginal ring and pellet.

The reverse (top picture) has two quotations (suras) from the Koran, sura 112 in the centre and sura 9, verse 33 round.

If you want to learn how to read Islamic coins the best start is 'Arabic coins and how to read them' by Richard Plant.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline pierre_p77

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Re: ID of Islamic silver coin
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 04:40:58 pm »
Thank you very very much Alan!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity