Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Authentic amphora?  (Read 2136 times)

tkonnova

Authentic amphora?
« on: May 09, 2009, 12:35:22 pm »
Hi all,

Im a bit new to collecting antiquities, and this glass(clay?) vessel is from my first batch of purchased items... I fear i do not have the knowledge to determine if it is authentic or not, if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated!

Thanks all!

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Authentic amphora?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 02:39:25 pm »
An odd question, but is this glass or clay?  Pat L.

tkonnova

Re: Authentic amphora?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 03:01:00 pm »
To tell the truth i cant tell, it feels like glass when tapped, but has dirt/sand coating the interior making it hard for me to determine. Im frightfully uninformed as to how to tell the difference without being able to see a raw surface such as the interior.  I have a second piece that is very similar to this one, so similar i assume it was found (or made) at the same location.  Ill post a few pics of that piece tomorrow.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity