Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "Unusual World Coins"  (Read 3120 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
"Unusual World Coins"
« on: August 19, 2008, 05:35:52 pm »
I was flipping through a book today called "Unusual World Coins" when I came across two from the Kayless Empire. They are Klingon coins.  Unusual indeed, and I notice that the title didn't actually specify which world!  Extraterrestrial coins would be an unusual collecting focus.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

loveandpolitics

Re: "Unusual World Coins"
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 12:26:29 pm »
Hehe. I'm assuming they came over here around the same time the Klingons wrote Hamlet? Heh. Today I saw a website selling Roman Empire banknotes. Pretty cool actually, I might consider buying a few :P

Offline Sap

• Consul
  • It's already tomorrow in Australia.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 02:51:08 am »
There are all kinds of science fiction/fantasy coins out there you can buy; if a book, movie or TV show has a sufficiently large fan base, you can be sure someone's made "coins" for that universe. I was recently given a couple of "Middle Earth" (Tolkein) coins, with inscriptions written in Tolkein's dwarf-runes. They look positively mediaeval, and could easily fool a novice collector (with no knowledge of the Tolkein universe) into thinking they had a genuine real-world coin.
I'll have to learn Latin someday.

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 08:24:06 am »
Genuine coins from the period chronicled by Tolkien would indeed be "ancient" -- haling from the Third Age of Middle Earth (the Greeks and Romans lived in the Fourth Age, as do we).  I have encountered these coins on eBay, but always passed them by as modern fakes, as they appeared to have been machine made, whereas the genuine coins of the era would, I assume, have been struck.   

Given their fabled skill as metal workers, I would imagine that the quality of coinage struck by the dwarves would have been quite impressive. 

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 08:44:47 am »
Given their fabled skill as metal workers, I would imagine that the quality of coinage struck by the dwarves would have been quite impressive. 

I wouldn't mind a couple of mithril coins in my collection.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 01:11:38 pm »
I would be very happy simply having a couple of gold coins in mine.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity