Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning Coins with Hard Sandy Deposits  (Read 1810 times)

Offline cwonsidler

• Praetorian
    • My Gallery
Cleaning Coins with Hard Sandy Deposits
« on: August 09, 2008, 05:48:14 pm »
I have a few coins that I have been trying to clean however they are covered with a layer of very hard sand similar to a desert patina. I tried dipping them in distilled water and then brushing them with a brass brush which usually works to clean most coins. However, almost nothing came off, so I was wondering does anybody have any tips for cleaning coins covered with this hard sand layer.

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: Cleaning Coins with Hard Sandy Deposits
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 05:58:54 pm »
Check out this link, I think what you have are layers of clay, so you would need a poker tool. Does your coin look like the 12th picture down?    http://scotvscapitis.blogspot.com/2006/10/step-by-step-cleaning-and-attributing.html

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:46:44 am »
I have a few coins that I have been trying to clean however they are covered with a layer of very hard sand similar to a desert patina. I tried dipping them in distilled water and then brushing them with a brass brush which usually works to clean most coins. However, almost nothing came off, so I was wondering does anybody have any tips for cleaning coins covered with this hard sand layer.

a picture or scan will net you more responses. One persons sand is anothers encrustations. :)

chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline cwonsidler

• Praetorian
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 04:40:55 pm »
Here are a few pictures of the coins that have this tough layer. The first picture shows the one coin I definately want to clean because the one side has two facing portraits and a countermark it seems. Thanks for the link tiberiusjulius, however, I am not sure if it is a clay layer. I definately will try using my dental pick on it though, but any more advice will be appreciated.

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 06:44:54 pm »
Some soaking in dw and brushing should do the job. Or maybe using packing tape,wrap the coins in the tape, apply some pressure on the coin (so that the tape sticks good to the sand,) and take off the tape to see the results!

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 09:53:10 pm »
Tape I have never tried, but they sure look like they could use som serious soaking in DW for a few days to a week. Brushing will clean it  (ie soak, wait, brush, repeat), but they would probably do just as well having the highlights cleaned with a common dental pick and leave the fields the sandy patina. They look to have the classic black base patina under them so the contrast would be nice.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline cwonsidler

• Praetorian
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 04:47:04 pm »
Thanks for all the help everyone. I tried the dental pick and it worked pretty well, however, I may have to try soaking it in DW because a lot is still not coming off. Once again thanks for all the advice everyone.

Serial_Zappist

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 06:31:03 am »
Those look like they got some pretty good patina under them. Depending how well you like to clean your coins, If i had them i would Overclean them to some peoples standards. Id be carefull trying to pry or scrape any dirt off with the dental pick. It can leave nasty pot holes  and scrathes in the coin.  Some times there patina can be uneven and you could accidently pluck it up or you can hit a encrustation thats rooted down to the metal and that will look like a terrible mess when you do that.The best tool i have found for cleaning my coins down to the very surface of the patina is with a sewing needle Or you can try out a pinvise. If that stuffs hard like you describe it, it will take a very long time to clean them up. I dont like soaking my coins though, Ive found that even a toothbrush can strip patina on the highpoints due to it being exposed to the most brushing. If you want to clean up the coin to the patina, I would start at the edge of the coin with a sewing needle and lightly polish the coin. Its not gonna clean up overnight if you take your time. could take a few days to do just the front if you do it right and take your time not to scratch the coin up.

Start with small circular motions close to the edge, Blow off dirt as soon as it covers up the spot you are working on or use some computer cleaner (duster/ the compressed air cleaner stuff for keyboards). That way you can see how deep into the dirt you are or if your actually starting to "Polish" the patina. Work your way very slowly to the first highpoints you can identify (like a letter). Work around the letters so you start to make it ledgible. I like working down the fields first then working on the high points.If you take your time though you might like the results more. If you rush it and press hard you will turn the patina into powder and go straight to the metal. The key is to LIGHTLY POLISH it and take frequent breaks so it doesnt drive you insane. You have to have a bunch of needles too. The sharp ones work the best and the sand and dirt acts like sandpaper so it wears out the tip. You know your doing it right when the coin looks like its waxed and you didnt wax it. Some super hard spots of dirt will be the ones that are hard to work on. It could be due to a pittled patina or small encrustations that will break off and be ugly if your not carefull. Once again, Light polishing and excessive motions on the same spot till it starts to shine will do the trick. Really it just depends on how patient you are with it. An encrustation is just that, an encrustation. And its not going to go anywere by continusly polishing it with a sewing needle (It might though, i havent been that patient with them i leave them alone).  Best to just leave them alone till you learn how to remove them.

Like i said just depends how clean you like your coins and how patient you are. Brash brush and distilled water a big no no to me if im keeping patina and picking and scrapeing can lead to potholes and scratches. By polishing it though, you can stop the motion anytime you want to. So if you think you might be overdoing it you can just stop.

Good luck!

Offline cwonsidler

• Praetorian
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 04:17:50 pm »
Thanks for the detailed response serial_zappist

All coins are guaranteed for eternity