Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please help with AE18 Pergamon, Mysia  (Read 747 times)

David S4

Please help with AE18 Pergamon, Mysia
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:59:31 am »
Hello All,

Due to the icongraphy I will assume this is a AE 18 from Pergamon, Mysia.  However, the style is not what I am used to so I have no idea what time peroid its from.. any help in this respect would be greatly appreciated

Thank you-
                    David S4

PS - I made Picture a little harsh for ID purposes - the coin looks much better in hand :~)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Please help with AE18 Pergamon, Mysia
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 12:04:33 pm »
Hello All,

Due to the icongraphy I will assume this is a AE 18 from Pergamon, Mysia.  However, the style is not what I am used to so I have no idea what time peroid its from.. any help in this respect would be greatly appreciated

Thank you-
                    David S4

PS - I made Picture a little harsh for ID purposes - the coin looks much better in hand :~)

yes, you are correct.  the exact catalog # i'm not sure but the location you asume is the correct one.

PtolemAE

David S4

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 12:23:59 pm »
Do you know when (appoximately) it was minted?

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 04:20:57 pm »
Do you know when (appoximately) it was minted?

you could probably do a little online research yourself on that (e.g. on wildwinds) faster than you can type in the question here :)

PtolemAE

David S4

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 04:37:23 pm »
Yea I got that far,
Problem for me is this iconography was stamped on coins for four or five hundred years and my coins stlying looks off for everyone ive seen .... the ledgend is illedigable and I can't tell if its an older archaic design or just something later and sloppy.  There are not a whole lot of examples of how this coin changes over time that I have been able to find.
Thanks for your help

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 05:07:19 am »
Yea I got that far,
Problem for me is this iconography was stamped on coins for four or five hundred years and my coins stlying looks off for everyone ive seen .... the ledgend is illedigable and I can't tell if its an older archaic design or just something later and sloppy.  There are not a whole lot of examples of how this coin changes over time that I have been able to find.
Thanks for your help

Looks to me like the left legend is (S)OT(ROS).  I think the other legend is either PHILATEIROS or ASKLEPIOS.  Maybe that'll help you make it out.  Looks like 2nd C. BC types I've seen illustrated.  At one time I had a very high grade one of these and I'll look up my references on it.  I think you're right that nailing it down to a more precise time period must await further discoveries and scholarly analysis.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity