Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Possible Severus Roman Denarius?  (Read 508 times)

dlmeek

Possible Severus Roman Denarius?
« on: July 26, 2008, 12:40:21 am »
Recently bought...feels around 3 or 4 grams in weight. I can't make out the inscription but I have attached some photos. Please let me know if you can identify it! I'm a history teacher who does not know much about dating Roman coins...this is my first one. I've attached scans of the coin.

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Possible Severus Roman Denarius?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 12:54:26 am »
It looks like Gordian III to me.  It is an antoninianus (double-denarius) as indicated by the radiate crown.

IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG
CONCORDIA AVG, Concordia stg. l. holding patera over altar and cornucopia

Apparently this type belongs to Antioch: RIC 178a

Steve

dlmeek

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 01:33:48 am »
Thank you! I'm amazed with the quick reply! Please indulge another favor: is there an example of this particular coin on this database? If so please provide a link...I'm trying to find it and still haven't succeeded.

Offline jon gress

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 02:10:46 am »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity