Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Jax or Dellers  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
Jax or Dellers
« on: July 21, 2008, 10:04:12 am »
I will be purchasing a repatination product shortly,
I don't know which is better,Jax or Dellers.
I have had no experience with  repatination and I am thinking of Jax.
 Any pointers for using this?
Which product do you prefer to use?

Thanks for the advise
Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.- Alexander Hamilton
My Gallery:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21532

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Re: Jax or Dellers
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 10:20:40 am »
Hi Brian,

I can't discuss Dellers as I have had no experience of using it, but I would be happy to recommend Jax.  I have found it to be very reliable and look pretty good as a finish.  Not the real patina obviously, but when us cleaners have an accident, it certainly covers the patina we may have scraped beautifully.  Dry, wax and buff afterwards and most coins will look stunning.

regards

Mark

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 12:59:15 pm »
I've used both ,  and in all honesty,  Both are good products.

for me  it all depends on the original patina.  I'll used jax brown on the desert patina coins  (  sand  with black patina ) and can usually  get excellent results.  This Jax  will turn the spots black

dellard on the coins with brown or green patina .

it takes a little longer to restore the damaged area with dellars, (  not just the dip  and rinse like jax )  but I'm  never in a rush. and the results are excellent and will give a nice brown coating to the damaged area

hope this helps

cheers

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 03:55:11 am »
Ave!

I've used both ,  and in all honesty,  Both are good products.

for me  it all depends on the original patina.  I'll used jax brown on the desert patina coins  (  sand  with black patina ) and can usually  get excellent results.  This Jax  will turn the spots black

dellard on the coins with brown or green patina .

it takes a little longer to restore the damaged area with dellars, (  not just the dip  and rinse like jax )  but I'm  never in a rush. and the results are excellent and will give a nice brown coating to the damaged area

hope this helps

cheers

Good call, Johnny!

The four JAX Solutions (Brown, Brown/Black, Black, and Green) can all be used singly, or in various orders, as a quick fix for patina issues.

Dellers Darkener is another story. In most cases, as Johnny mentioned below, it's a slow worker that seems best on green patina coins. The Deller's rub will darken the green patina and brass-showing bits, but it takes a day or two, to several weeks in certain conditions.

I've had good luck by placing Dellered coins in bright sunlight. Check the coin daily, flip to either side. If the patina look dry, apply more Deller's, repeat until the coin's surface remains shiny after a day or so, and the shiny bits are repatinated. Make sense?

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity