Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman chariots to thunder around Circus Maximus once more  (Read 2488 times)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
This sounds fun!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/2302705/Roman-chariots-to-thunder-around-Circus-Maximus-once-more.html

"For hundreds of years, citizens of the Roman Empire watched chariots tear around the famous racetrack in what was the Formula One event of its time.

Now the historical society, Vadis Al Maximo (To the Maximum), is in talks with city officials to bring the event back – with perhaps slightly less blood and carnage as depicted in the film, Ben Hur.

Franco Calo, of Vadis Al Maximo, said: "The event would last three days, starting on October 17, at the same period when the race took place in Roman times.

"According to our calculations, the Circus Maximus area could hold up to 35,000 people. If possible, we hope to involve charioteers from all over the world." "
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Roman chariots to thunder around Circus Maximus once more
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 03:05:47 pm »
wow, how cool is that?!   :)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 03:19:10 pm »
I don't suppose anyone is going to do a Nero and try to drive a ten-horse chariot. That would be quite something to watch!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 04:27:42 pm »

Panem et Circen.

However melancholy it may strike the modern ear, I think I’ll cheer for the Blues…

:)

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
  • I came, I saw, I'm still looking.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 01:02:36 am »
 :evil: Better clean up my Quadriga. Go Greens!
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity