Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  History and Archeology (Moderator: David Atherton)  |  Topic: Roman chariots to thunder around Circus Maximus once more 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Roman chariots to thunder around Circus Maximus once more  (Read 1863 times)
PeterD
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

omnium curiositatum explorator

« on: July 16, 2008, 12:26:59 pm »

This sounds fun!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/2302705/Roman-chariots-to-thunder-around-Circus-Maximus-once-more.html

"For hundreds of years, citizens of the Roman Empire watched chariots tear around the famous racetrack in what was the Formula One event of its time.

Now the historical society, Vadis Al Maximo (To the Maximum), is in talks with city officials to bring the event back – with perhaps slightly less blood and carnage as depicted in the film, Ben Hur.

Franco Calo, of Vadis Al Maximo, said: "The event would last three days, starting on October 17, at the same period when the race took place in Roman times.

"According to our calculations, the Circus Maximus area could hold up to 35,000 people. If possible, we hope to involve charioteers from all over the world." "

Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context http://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia
Enodia
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

~ For My Star ~

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 01:05:47 pm »

wow, how cool is that?!   Smiley

Robert_Brenchley
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 01:19:10 pm »

I don't suppose anyone is going to do a Nero and try to drive a ten-horse chariot. That would be quite something to watch!

Robert Brenchley

My gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
Tiathena
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 02:27:42 pm »

Panem et Circen.

However melancholy it may strike the modern ear, I think I’ll cheer for the Blues…

Smiley

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery
Gilgamesh
Consul

I came, I saw, I'm still looking.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:02:36 pm »

evil Better clean up my Quadriga. Go Greens!

Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  History and Archeology (Moderator: David Atherton)  |  Topic: Roman chariots to thunder around Circus Maximus once more « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop