Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Theoderic monogram nummus  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
Theoderic monogram nummus
« on: July 16, 2008, 12:27:16 pm »
The monogram on this little 5-6th C nummus looks like Theoderic's to me, but I can't find it listed for copper.  MEC I has the monogram on silver coins struck by Theoderic himself (118-121) and also on a silver coin by Amalasuntha, previously attributed to Witigis (138).  When I bought this one from Baldwins about 35 years ago it was attributed to Witigis, but without any specific citations.  Its diameter is 8-9 mm, and weight 0.72 g.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate any information.  With thanks,

Jim Roberts

khingila

Re: Theoderic monogram nummus
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 01:19:38 pm »
The monogram looks like those attributed to Witigis by Wroth, WPBC p. 78 (but not in AE), likely being the source of the attribution 35 years ago. The difference with Theoderic's monogram is mainly that Theoderic has horizonals above and below the D, which combined with the short stroke at center form an E on Theoderic's monogram; the monogram assigned to Witigis has only the short central stroke but not the upper and lower. That being said, Wroth is much outdated and his attributions are not always correct.

I'm troubled by what appears to be a long and heavy exergual line. I also don't like the way the diagonal line of the monogram wraps around what should be the "C" and the overall sloppiness of the monogram. Two possibilities occur to me: it may be an imitation (of which there is no shortage in this period) or the reverse may be something else altogether. Years ago I was sold a "probable Basiliscus" which later turned out to be a common Marcian, once I rotated the monogram 180 degrees!

An interesting coin.

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 01:35:44 pm »
Thanks.  I've done that trick a couple times, attributing a monogram upside down!  And I agree the coin might be an imitation.

Jim Roberts

yafet_rasnal

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 06:38:33 am »
It's a nummum (or 2 1/2 nummi depending on reference) by Theodoricus, mint of Rome, Metlich 79

Offline Jim Roberts

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 11:13:03 pm »
Thanks a lot for the ID.  I thought MEC-1 was the reference for these, but it looks like I'll need to get a copy of Metlich.  Very much appreciated.

- Jim Roberts

All coins are guaranteed for eternity