Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Puzzling Provincial of Sillyon  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Aleph

• Consul
Puzzling Provincial of Sillyon
« on: December 24, 2007, 05:04:09 pm »
Hi all,
I was hoping someone might offer some insight into an odd coin I have:

Pamphylia, Sillyon, AE30, 17.48g
...KAI :dot: :Greek_Pi_3: :dot: :Greek_Lambda:I... (counterclockwise!)
Gallienus left
CI :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Lambda:V :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Omega:N
Men stepping up right

The reverse is fairly typical for the time, but the obverse is an anomoly.  The portrait seems to be a far higher quality than usual.  In addition, the legend is counter clockwise starting at 5 oclock- something I haven't seen in the 3rd century for pamphylia.  The legend, however, would seem to pin this to Gallienus.  Looking at listings for Gallienus and Sillyon, the obverse is very out of place with one exception.  SNG Paris 1005 looks like it might be an obverse die match (sorry for the poor quality scan of a xerox).  It is listed as Valerian, but this attribution seems to be tenuous.  Does anyone know of any similar specimens (I dont have access to much research material).
THanks
Kevin

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: Puzzling Provincial of Sillyon
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 11:33:58 am »
SNG PFPS IV 954 seems to be from the same obverse die (same reverse type as the Paris specimen, possibly the same die as well), with partially legible legend given as [AVT] KA[I P LI] - GALLIHNO. As you say, the legend starts at 5 o'clock, but the emperor's name apparently goes from 7 o'clock clockwise, an odd arrangement.

SNG Leypold II 1959, same obverse die again, but the legend is mostly illegible. The reverse has the head of Men left on crescent.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 09:24:02 am »
Lars, thanks for the references.  Apparently the obverse isn't that uncommon.  It still seems very out of place, though.  Could the obverse have originally been intended for a medallion?

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 08:31:14 am »
No, I don't think it was intended as a medallion die as it fits well the other sizes of that mint and time.

Best, Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Thomas B2

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 11:16:10 am »
Another one, same obverse, different reverse die.

Tom

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 06:47:28 pm »
Interesting to see another- mine is no longer an orphan!  Appears to be the same reverse die to my eye.  I would love to see the obverse well preserved on an example.  All the specimens I am aware of are pretty rough.
Best,
Kevin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity