Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A new type for Plautilla from Nikopolis  (Read 889 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
A new type for Plautilla from Nikopolis
« on: June 30, 2008, 07:05:24 pm »
Hi!

Coins of Plautilla from Nikopolis are not frequent. I want to share this coin:

Plautilla, AD 202-205, wife of Caracalla and killed by him
AE 28, 12.50g, 27.7mm
struck under legate Aurelius Gallus
obv. FOV PLAV - TILLA CEB
bust, draped, r., hair in her usual 'melon hairdo'
rev. VP A GALL[O - V] NIKOPOLITW / PROC I
Athena, in long garment, wearing Corinthian helmet, stg. facing, head r,
holding reversed spear in raised r. hand and resting with lowered l. hand on
great round shield set on ground.
AMNG -; Varbanov (engl.) 3189 cf.; probably unpublished
VF, nice deep-green glossy patina

Varbanov 3189 has different legends:
obv. has FOVL PLAV...(Varbanov has listed it in error as FOVLVIA, whereas his pic is correct!) and rev. is VP AVR...LITWN).
And a different depiction: Shield is standing on small base.
Varbanov (engl.) 3189 I have found in the collection of Akropolis.

Best regards

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
Re: A new type for Plautilla from Nikopolis
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 10:33:46 pm »
    Beautiful coin Jochen!  The reverse is unpublished in AMNG (cf. 1295 with ultimate nu but without base) and Varbanov(E).  Interesting that on the second coin you posted the upsilon is separated from omicron by the spear and Athena's head; not abbreviated like AMNG 1296 or made into a ligature, very unusual for Gallus coins although it becomes more common on legates with longer names(cf. the nu on this Flavius Ulpianus.) 

John Wrenn

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: A new type for Plautilla from Nikopolis
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 11:52:54 pm »
John: I bet you can collect the whole family (or, maybe not Geta) with the variant legends of both types (shield with or without base) issued by Gallus.**  Even if they aren't in the lists.  Now that your eye is honed, they will pursue you, demanding your attention.  Just be glad it isn't Homonoia.  The Athena is a very nice statuary type (which we have discussed before, with or without base).
** Oops!  You have more to look for.  Your Caracalla is Fl. Ulpianus, one of those retrospective unbearded Caracallas.
Jochen: I love your new die, with the ruffled folds at the neck of her chiton, and that splendidly protective emerald green patina..
Pat.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity