Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Theodora - Wife Of Constantius I??  (Read 679 times)

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Theodora - Wife Of Constantius I??
« on: June 28, 2008, 03:32:00 am »
Ever have one of those piles of "junk" coins.  Over a year ago, before I broke myself of the habit of buying those "gold found" uncleans I bought a disappointing batch.  I was new to the hobby and the small dirty coins (many broken) went into a container for future exploration.  Well went through them tonight moving soon and want to minimize my stuff.  Found a few real nice city commemratives, about half a dozen interesting provincials.  a bunch of 10-11 mm coins that actually have some detail (need a new scope light for them) a nice group of family constantine.  Although this one today I think is his fathers "other" wife.
Haven't gotten a chance to do more than knock a little dirt off, so don't have a mint yet, but do I have the basic coin right?
12.5mm 1.0g
Theodora - Wife Of Constantius I.
AE4.
FL MAX THEODORAE AVG, Bust right in plain mantle & necklace
PIETAS ROMANA. Pietas facing, head r., carrying an infant
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Theodora - Wife Of Constantius I??
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 04:01:40 am »
Hi,

You are right. This type was made at three mints, Trier, Rome and Constantinople and sadly I can't make out the mint mark.

Regards,

Mauseus

gavignano

Re: Theodora - Wife Of Constantius I??
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 10:29:35 pm »
Hi - wow, a nice find in a personal junk box!
I think I see TR, and either an S or P, which would be Trier of course. This is just a guess.
Also, the thick base Pietas is standing on is usually a Trier style for Theodora coins.
Almost all the ocins I've seen have been Trier or Constantinople, so if were Rome, I couldn't compare. Joe

All coins are guaranteed for eternity