Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RESTITVTOR ORBIS 2  (Read 637 times)

Offline TLK

• Consul
RESTITVTOR ORBIS 2
« on: June 26, 2008, 05:44:19 pm »
This coin is 3.9 gr. See if you can see anything in exergue. Sorry about the bad spot on the right side, but I'm not going to chance damaging the coin.    Thanks so much.  TLK

Offline TLK

• Consul
Re: RESTITVTOR ORBIS 2
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 06:15:45 pm »
Maybe I should include that I could not find a coin on wildwinds to match this one.The ones on WW all have mint marks.Anybody know if I'm crazy or blind? Thanks   TLK

Offline TLK

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:34:38 pm »
DISREGARD! I don't know how,but I found it on WW's.I left out a letter and one just like mine showed up.It states,Unattributed mint RIC 399,cOHEN 192. Weird how adding or subtracting a letter in the partial inscription search makes a difference.There is a slight difference in the reverse portrait,"corn ears" but still,it's like mine w/ NO mint mark.Have a good one.  TLK

Offline jon gress

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:06:46 pm »
The only problem is that RIC 399 is RESTITVT ORBIS, as opposed to yours which is RISTITVTOR ORBIS

Would it be possible for you to get a better picture of the reverse?  I suspect that your coin is RIC 348 Cyzicus:
IMP AVRELIANVS AVG - radiate and cuirassed bust right
RESTITVTOR ORBIS - Emperor facing left holding spear receiving a wreath from a woman facing right
mintmark of A, B, gamma, delta, or epsilon (any of the single character marks could easily be missed under that small bit of encrustation or if that portion of the reverse were weakly struck)

When I zoom in on the pic you provided there does appear to be something (delta?) in exergue below the woman's foot. 

Jon

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:16:24 pm »
Yes, TLK's coin and the two in Wildwinds seem to be from Cyzicus, where the coin was also struck with exergue blank:  Göbl 342c or 342d, Paris 1189-1193.  87 specimens in Venera Hoard, so not rare.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity