Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any chance this Pertinax being from Alexandria?  (Read 562 times)

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
Any chance this Pertinax being from Alexandria?
« on: June 19, 2008, 11:17:22 am »
I know it's surely Rome, and it was sold as such, but I've read that the rare Alexandria issues are only distinguishable on stylistic grounds. Honestly, seeing the Coinarchives examples of Alexandria, I can find no evident stylistic differences between both mints. Could anyone illustrate me as to what these may be, as compared to my coin? Thank you.

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Any chance this Pertinax being from Alexandria?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:27:09 am »
Yes, your coin is Alexandrian, but Alexandrian denarii of Pertinax are NOT rare, especially with this reverse type.

Here is a Rome-mint specimen of the same type from CoinArchives.  The difference is stylistic: the Alexandrian denarii match the very rare Alexandrian tetradrachms of Pertinax, while the Rome-mint denarii have the same style as his aurei, sestertii, dupondii, and asses, all of which were struck at Rome.
Curtis Clay

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
Re: Any chance this Pertinax being from Alexandria?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:54:55 pm »
Thank you, once again, Curtis. I stand corrected then. I was mislead by RSC, where the only denarius attributed to Alexandria, 33a, is said to be of a "very odd style", and has not price indication attached to it. And I guess, then, that RIC IV is also superseded by newer research.

Regards,
Ignasi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity