Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My First Coins Part 3  (Read 551 times)

loveandpolitics

My First Coins Part 3
« on: June 19, 2008, 04:25:15 am »
Anyway my first coin seems to have gotten quite a bit of attention  ;), thank you very much!

I picked this coin up at a coin dealer who knew nothing at all about ancient coins. I took a risk and paid $5 for it. According to my first low quality pics posted here it was some kind of Probus tetradrachma. Since I really collect Constantinian bronzes, I still know very little of this coin, let alone if it is authentic. Based on these better pictures what can you tell me?

Anyway, I'll post more standard sized pictures in the future.

loveandpolitics

Re: My First Coins Part 3
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 04:31:29 am »
Thanks to Tiathena I know the legend is probably Legend: A K M AYP  [Greek_Pi]  ROBOC CEB * (Autokrator Kaisaros Markos Aurelios Probos Sebastos).

(I've had this coin ID'ed here before, but the people wanted better quality pics)

Finally here is the edge:

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: My First Coins Part 3
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 04:53:29 am »
These Alexandrian tets are so common right now, there must have been a gigantic hoard found but
this one is a great deal at $5. Even if this turns out to be nothing special as far as rarity is concerned
you might very well find a comparable coin for sale at ten times that price.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity