Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Commodus denar not in RIC?  (Read 782 times)

Offline Orpio

• Consul
Commodus denar not in RIC?
« on: June 14, 2008, 02:16:49 pm »
Hi,

I bought some days ago this denar of Commodus. I know, that it is not listed in RIC III. On the reverse first half of inscription is removed but second half is readable: [TR] P XIIII COS V DES VI. This inscription is typical for coins of A.D. 189. The RIC is listed only one coin with this part of inscription, but on that reverse is "Fortuna standing" but in my coin the personage seated. May you know who is on the reverse and which is correct identification it? Could you help me?

Obv: M COMM ANT P FEL AVG BRIT P P
Rev: [....]P XIIII COS V DES VI

Best regards,

Offline xanthos

• Praetorian
Re: Commodus denar not in RIC?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 04:07:12 pm »
Orpio,

I'd say it's RIC 190 (SEC ORB P M TR P XIIII COS V DES VI, Securitas seated left, holding globe).

Best regards

Offline Orpio

• Consul
Re: Commodus denar not in RIC?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 04:33:41 pm »
Xanthos,

You are right!!!
I have to be blind!  :-[ :-[ :-[
Did I want to get unlisted coin too strongly and I was blind?  :-\

Thanks very much!

Best regards,

All coins are guaranteed for eternity