Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: cleaning procedure  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
cleaning procedure
« on: June 12, 2008, 07:13:50 am »
Hello everyone,
Can someone tell me the procedure for the initial soaking and brushing.
How long do you soak coins in distilled water?
How do you know when to change the water?
How often do you scrub during soaking?

I have read the sites on how to clean coins,
they tell you the steps but not the details.
I have no experience with this and really need advice.
Thanks
Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.- Alexander Hamilton
My Gallery:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21532

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Re: cleaning procedure
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 08:27:00 am »
Hello everyone,
Can someone tell me the procedure for the initial soaking and brushing.
How long do you soak coins in distilled water?

Brian-

The answers to your questions really depend on how dirty the coins are.  There will be coins that you will be avble to dip in DW for a few minutes, scrub with a nylon brush, dry, wax, attribute and flip.

There will be other coins that will have to soak for days, weeks or months for you to start seeing results.

I don't think there are real set answers to your questions.  It's more art than science.  General pointers below.

How do you know when to change the water?

Generally, when I get a batch in, I first rinse them in a plastic colander under warm running water to get the easy dirt off.

I then divide them into cups and fill with distilled water.  You can leave them in there for a few days, or start off with just one day, scrub with nylon or brass brush, rinse in running water, stick in a fresh cup of dw.

How often do you scrub during soaking?

Depends on how much time I have.  I start off brushing every day unless I'm making no progress.  Those coins I let soak longer.

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 05:09:46 pm »
My online how-to includes details, including my methods of how long I scrub and soak (So you must not have read the ALL  ;) )

http://scotvscapitis.blogspot.com/2006/10/step-by-step-cleaning-and-attributing.html
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 05:27:05 pm »
Hi Scott,
Thanks for the reminder!
I came across your site purely by accident at work about a week ago
while researching something else. I only had time then to skim
threw it because it was so thorough and I had to do work
The pix really showed me the process of cleaning coins
and your narratives were excellent.
I am definitely going to study it as my next shipment of uncleaned
coins from the FORVM will be arriving in a few days and I don't want to ruin them.
Did I also read you have an interest in genealogy,so do I.

Thanks again

Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.- Alexander Hamilton
My Gallery:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21532

avjones

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 07:29:28 pm »
Your site is brilliant, Scott - I've looked at it before, and been fascinated!

I'm fairly interested in genealogy as well. My ancestors were, as far as I can go back, entirely in the UK, but all over it - Kent, Somerset, East Sussex, Cheshire and Lancashire in England, Debeighshire and Anglesey in Wales, central Scotland, and Bangor in Northern Ireland.

Amanda

gavignano

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 08:15:38 pm »
Scott - your site is SUPER. thanks!
In the first step, did you ever try nuking them up for 30 seconds in a microwave (safely) with washing soda vs boiling for 10-15 minutes in a pot  - I'm just wondering - the only ones I have put in the microwave have been those as part of a nice step by step process placed a while back by another poster to rid coins of bronze disease, and it does work well for that.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 11:12:06 pm »
Everybody does different things to clean their coins, even if we all follow the same basic steps. Scott's "how to" was a godsend a couple of years ago when I started this (I don't think I ever said thatnks for that, so: Thanks!!!). The thing is to take what you are comfortable with and go with it.

For example: on a regular lot of dirty to crusty eastern european uncleaneds I start off by:

1. Check for silver/silvered and pull them. (cleaned and soaked seperatly)
2. Boil the remainder (usually all of them ;) ) in a 2 cup DW to 1.5 tablespoon washing soda mix for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Let cool and soak in the boil water for an hour to a day (depending on my schedule)
4. Transfer to a soak tub with clean DW. (which I change at least once a week, usually twice a week)
5. For the first couple of days, I just brush with a nylon brush until all of the loose and brushable dirt is gone. (if the dirt is tough and the patina is not showing, I will somtimes use a soft bristeled brass brush (SBBB) to knock the dirt a bit looser)
6. Once all of the loose/brushable dirt is off I start with mechanical cleaning. Using either my exacto or dental pick on a dry coin I pick a small area, and in small circular motions, start cleaning. I usually never spend more than 5 minutes per coin, because I have found that the longer I work them the more aggressive I get and usually will end up popping through the patina. Once I am done with a session, the coin goes back in the dw. Repeat until you are satified with the look of the coin or you can get no more of the crud off. This step can last for a few days to a few months. If your coin looks good, stop here...if your coin still is all crusty, move on to step 7.

7. Step 7 is where a lot of people diverge. You have been cleaning this coin for a while now and the crust is not moving. You might have lumps, or bumps and stuff on it may feel like cement or worse still...the black shiny slick stuff...what to do? Some people go the chemical route (heavier versions of GG's, ect). Some go the traditional electric electrolosis route. Neither are a bad thing, it's your coin, do what you will, but for me both should be the last resort. The patina is not only a pretty addition to your coin, but will protect it far better than renwax in the long run! But still, somtimes harsh methods are needed. I personally go the "non-electical" electrolosis route. It's easy, just as effective (it does take longer though, but remember, this is not a race!!), and I have yet to turn a coin colors or induce pitting using this method. All you have to do is take a palstic tub, fill it with 2 cups of hot DW and mix in a tablespoon or two of washing soda. Take a smallish piece of foil and, after dipping your coin in the soda solution, wrap it around your coin. I just usually make a small pouch and seal three sides leaving the fourth unbent but pinched together. After your coin is wrapped, drop the pouch into the hot dw solution and wait for 24 hours. The next day you should notice the foil starting to get eaten away and with this sign, pull the pouch out of the water and with your sbbb in your handy dremel, lightly, and under running water (note: don't turn the water on full blast as the dremel with spray all over you!!) lightly dremel the crusties off. Some coins one treatment is all that is needed, others, get what comes off off and repeat the process another 24hrs and keep repeating until you are satisfied. At this point the coin will be shiny and crust free. Re-patinate, wax and flip.

The key is to find out what works with the coins you are cleaning and stick with it...until the next batch, when you will ahve to figure them out...and so on. Don't get bogged down with a single method, try a bunch and take what you want from them and make them your own.

I am rambling now...hope this helps a bit.

Chris

PS Read anything that Salem or Kevin (Mayadigger) (or for that matter, Johnny, Dino (CGPCGP), Joe (Gavignano) )or any of the active cleaners post on cleaning, those guys are a treasure trove of good info!

C.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 12:13:09 am »
Thanks for the kind words folks.

Yes, my method on my site only covers the basic soak and scrub, and Chris is right to pay attention to and try the methods others use as well, especially those he mentioned. I use several other methods including the dreaded electrolysis occasionally, but almost always start with the soak/scrub method.

I wish I had the coins to start with that Salem gets, then I could justify investing in the stuff he uses and in learning his methods. He's dropped plenty of clues!
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 03:09:05 am »
and Bangor in Northern Ireland.

Amanda