Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small ayyubid coin?  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Luc Andre D

• Praetorian
Small ayyubid coin?
« on: June 02, 2008, 11:08:47 pm »
I bought this tiny (about 6 mm) unidentified coin in a coins shop selling mostly contemporary coins and a few ancient ones, mostly artuqid, zengid or hellenistic.
On one side, there is a seal of Solomon and on the other, something in the shape of a W.
I saw something like this seal of Solomon on crusaders' imitations of ayyubid coins. So I'm guessing it's 11th or 12th century, ayyubid (or another dynasty around that time) or crusaders' counterfeit. Does anybody has more information about what it is? Thanks!

khingila

Re: Small ayyubid coin?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 01:44:20 am »
It's clearly not Ayyubid or of any related dynasty. It looks vaguely Indian to me.

Manzikert

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 05:05:39 am »
Hi

It is a 1 kas coin from Travancore in south India, 19th century.

I will give you a more detailed identification when I get home from work tonight.

Best wishes

Alan

Manzikert

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 04:48:22 pm »
Hi

It is a 1 cash coin from Travancore in south India, issued by Rama Varma VI (1885-1924). It was struck 1885-1895, KM Y1b.

The 'W' on the obverse is actually a crude representation of a god (Rama I think), and should be orientated as in the image below.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Luc Andre D

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 05:24:33 pm »
Thanks!

TomX

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 06:17:27 pm »
Some of old guys have bad eyes...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity