Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with two coins.  (Read 665 times)

loveandpolitics

Help with two coins.
« on: May 29, 2008, 10:19:32 am »
A local coin dealer showed me a small number of Roman coins that he had acquired. Most of the coins where the smaller, cheap type, so I snapped them up. Two coins however stood out, and I decided not to buy them: firstly because I don't want to cheat him out of potentially valuable coins. Secondly because I did not want to risk buying them for fear of fakes. As Roman coins aren't common in this part of the world (South Africa), neither the dealer nor I have any expertise in determining value or authenticity. In any case, if they are authentic, I could get a discount if I identify them. So here they are.

Are they authentic? How much are they worth (dollars will be fine)?

loveandpolitics

Re: Help with two coins.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:32:07 am »
OK, I know the rules say I should try myself, but I'm new to this. All I can tell is that the first coin appears to be Augustus and Caesar on the one side. The other might be Trajan. Secondly I know it's supposed to be one coin per post, but this is as the dealer sent the picture to me, I suppose I could cut it up with photo editing software, but I'm no good at that kind of stuff. Secondly I'm asking for the dollar value so I can make an offer, not so I can sell it (I don't have it).

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:40:41 am »
They both look like cast fakes, note the casting bubbles.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

loveandpolitics

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:42:28 am »
I thought they could be bubbles, having read up on fakes, but I haven't seen fakes in person before. Maybe I take them off his hands just so I can have examples on hand. Thanks!

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 12:07:17 pm »
I thought they could be bubbles, having read up on fakes, but I haven't seen fakes in person before. Maybe I take them off his hands just so I can have examples on hand. Thanks!

Agreeing with Andreas, I wouldnt pay too much for them!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity