Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trajan?  (Read 885 times)

cerge

Trajan?
« on: May 22, 2008, 06:35:58 pm »
Hi, friends!
I would like to know if some person can help me with some coins
This is the first coin. I think could it be Trajan's as
Thanks in advance!
Cristian

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Trajan?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 06:42:37 pm »
Hello,

maybe this type or similar:

As 114-117,  Æ 10.51 g.  Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust r.  Rev. Fortuna seated l. holding rudder and cornucopiae.  C 157 varBMC pag. 216 †.  RIC 651 var.

Regards

cerge

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 06:53:38 pm »
You're a genius!  I'm looking for this coin a long time!
do you think is good idea to clean this coin?
 thanks!

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 05:29:47 am »
Maybe - if gentle methods are used to increase the contrast between raised and lower parts.

cerge

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:53:10 am »
Sorry the delay , and thanks for the reply! Can you tell me some soft method that you used?
Thanks again!

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 01:24:05 pm »
Soaking in soda solution and/or demineralized water plus detergent (with a weak basic/alkaline reaction in water) a few hours or even days. Afterwards brushing with a soft nylon brush until you see a satisfying result.

And/Or: soaking in alkaline oil (eg. weapons oil) a few hours or days, then brushing with a soft nylon brush, again until you see a satisfying result.

If necessary repeat these steps in various combinations, at higher temperatures or with harder brushes (with a soft brass brush as the extreme solution for hard encrustations).

But be careful: you have to try out the reaction of the surface and watch the result continuously.
Decide early enough when you have to stop this process - causing more damage than improving the coin!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity