Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another Tertullus of c. 198: SS & Carac  (Read 1466 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Another Tertullus of c. 198: SS & Carac
« on: May 13, 2008, 10:40:30 pm »
I admit: I'm obsessive about this set of coins.  This one came today.
• 12 05 08 Æ28 10.01g   axis 1h.  Nicopolis ad Istrum.  Issued by Tertullus.  One of the acclamation set, which, as Pick observes, are not pentassaria merely by virtue of having two heads; rather they celebrate the elevation of the two boys, Caracalla to Augustus and Geta to Caesar, and they prove to be more numerous than Pick knew.  This one seems to be the same obverse die as Varbanov 2005, no. 2828.  Pick's no. 1449, with the dynastic Herakles on the reverse, which would be the principal reverse type, together with the EVTYCHÔS acclamation (Varbanov 2828, occurring, of course, with other obverses, too.  The seller calls this one 'very rare' and, indeed, I have never seen it before.   I wonder how many of these special-occasion coins eventually may turn up.  Of course, they may simply have used up the nice obverse dies with innocuous Tychai, but she herself, after all, is eutychos.
I don't know of a listing for this one (but I must thank L.R. for calling it to my attention; he knows I've been pursuing these for nearly a decade).
Tentatively: [AV KAI] SEPSEVÊROS•P•AV•K•M AVR ANTÔNIN[OS] and Rev. VP[A]OOVINI? TERTVLLOV (partly unclear) NIKOPOLITÔN PROS IS• (ending at 7h, just before VP...
Septimius and Caracalla, both laureate, S. in cloak over armor, D. simply draped, I think.  Rev., Tyche, with kalathos, with generously curved, overflowing cornucopiae, holding rudder wih her r. hand.
Pat L.

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
Re: Another Tertullus of c. 198: SS & Carac
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:31:49 pm »
     WOW! That's quite a coin!   The reverse is neither one of the variants from AMNG I/1 1279, nor 1280.  That short kalathos does not give a legend break.  I couldn't find a die match in Varbanov(E) or online. 

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 01:26:34 am »
Yes, these coins ARE special.  Tyche has a very carefully drawn and elaborate rudder, too.
That coin is just the size that my lens and my set up like best: it almost perfectly corresponds to that center-weighted 60% of the area that I have chosen to meter.  So the camera meters for the dark coin, and I get a white background free of charge.  I don't care whether it's white or not, but I like it to be neutral (this with reference to the PM I just sent).  Pat L.

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 03:54:47 pm »
It has so much character and a handsome ruggedness to it.  I also quite like the dark green patina.

Best, Noah

Offline Thilo

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 04:59:15 pm »
Ok, I wanted to post a picture of mine forever but just was unable to make a decent picture. Together with the other specimen, the legends become clearer.

Obv.: AV KA CEP CEVEROC P K M AVRH ANTWNINOC

Rv.: VPA OOVI TERTVLLOV [NIKOPOLITWN] PROC I

Concerning Caracalla's drapery: I am not sure, but I think Pat is right. It looks like a paludamentum over a tunic. I do understand just too well how to get obsessed with this set of coins. However, so far only three have crossed my way and this is undoubtedly the best of the three I have.

Regards

Thilo

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 09:27:09 pm »
Oh, thank you for posting your coin!  It was cleaned much more tenderly and carefully than mine was and therefore it adds to understanding the engraver's style and technique.
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity