Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Domitian but which attribution?  (Read 623 times)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Domitian but which attribution?
« on: May 08, 2008, 05:00:57 pm »
Got this in an uncleaned lot (I know, I know...you end up with coins that look like this!  ;D but I have found a few worthy coins from uncleaned lots!)

It's pretty clear it Domitian (or is it?)  Size is about 25mm and weight is around 12g.  Rad. head right with what appears to be a godess on rev. (Fortuna?)  I can't seem to pin this one down. Thanks in advance!

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Domitian but which attribution?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 05:11:54 pm »
Hello Jay,

from what i can identify it should be a Domitian dupondius of the Rome mint with S - C -reverse and a standing single goddess.
Maybe with the coin in your hand you can use this link to identify more:

http://www.coinarchives.com/a/results.php?results=500&search=Domitian+AND+dupond

regards

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 05:29:48 pm »
Thanks Arminius, I've been trying to match it up for a while now.  I think the best match may be FELICITAS PVBLICA
RIC 710 but I'm not fully convinced.  Position of godesses left arm and what appears to be fabric? flowing over....right hand also appears to be going up, not down.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 05:52:12 pm »
Perhaps VIRTVTI AVGVSTI S - C, as below, a type that was struck on dupondii virtually every year from 86 until the end of the reign in 96.

FELICITAS PVBLICA is unlikely, since that was a type of Domitian as Caesar, when he was never depicted radiate on the obverse.
Curtis Clay

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 06:06:30 pm »
Thanks Curtis, that's more likely and I realize it is all speculation, but look at the legs.  Just doesn't seem to be right.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity