Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vienna Pfennig/Penny unknown emperor! help needed!  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Katharosteriphos

• Consul
  • What's the officer, problem?
Vienna Pfennig/Penny unknown emperor! help needed!
« on: May 06, 2008, 03:27:20 pm »
Here's a AR Pfennig from Vienna, minted in the 12th - 14th century, that's about all I know.
There's a bust left, maybe seated, holding something on the obverse, the reverse does not bear a depiction.

Can an expert here help me further with this? Any Info appreciated!

It would also make me happy if someone here knew a book where all the types of Vienna pfennigs are described.

Thank you!

-kat
God is dead.
   -Nietzsche

Nietzsche is dead.
   -God

Manzikert

Re: Vienna Pfennig/Penny unknown emperor! help needed!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 05:03:22 pm »
Hi Kat

The only reference I have for these is 'The coinage of South Germany in the thirteenth century' by D.M. Metcalf, published by Spink in 1961. He shows 103 different types for Vienna, and says that the standard work was 'Wiener Munzwesen im Mittelalter' by Luschin, 1913. He adds that an extension is F. Dworschak, 'Studien zum oesterreichischen Munzwesen', Numismatische Zeitschrift 1920, pp.53ff., plus articles in NZ 1926, 75ff; 1932, 37ff; 1934, 57ff. and 1931, 51ff. There may of course be more recent books/articles of which I am totally ignorant :).

Your coin would appear to be Metcalf's no.615, described as having a harpy on the obverse and a facing royal bust in an arched border on the reverse (the reverses are often very weak, like yours), and attributed to Albrecht I, 1282-1308.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline j.berta

• Praetorian
Re: Vienna Pfennig/Penny unknown emperor! help needed!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 05:06:10 pm »
Bernhard Koch attributed to Friedrich der Schöne  (the Fair), 1314-1330.
Pfennig, minted in Vienna.
CNA B212
Luschin 116 (attributed to Albrecht I)

The most comprehensive book today: Corpus Nummorum Austriacorum (CNA) Vol 1 by Bernhard Koch issued in 1994, Vienna.

Regards,
Jozsef

All coins are guaranteed for eternity