Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another altar Unlisted??  (Read 599 times)

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Another altar Unlisted??
« on: May 02, 2008, 11:16:49 pm »
RIC VII, 163 (closest I can find)
CONSTA-NTINVS AG, Laur, helmeted, cuirassed (D6), (163 shows T-A break)
VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP, Two victories facing one another, together holding vota shield above altar inscribed VOT\PR in two lines

Altar style listed for this is 2d, diamond with dot in four corners plus dot in center
This altar is style 2b diamond with a dot in the center only

Exergue PLN (London)

So what do I have? Not listed in RIC or a monday morning coin?

Opinions?
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

vic9128

Re: Another altar Unlisted??
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 09:50:03 am »
This is indeed RIC VII London 163. It has an unrecorded legend break, but not surprising since the authors only saw one example (r5). The recorded break was T-A. Your coin is altar type b, while the one recorded example had altar type d-- the dots, however, or lack of, are not so important though, what is important (what makes a coin belong to this series) is the diamond shape on the altar.

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Re: Another altar Unlisted??
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 08:20:32 pm »
I had forwarded it to Dane and she agrees with you.  The obverse is mildly rough, excellent detail and all of the legend.  The reverse in hand is beautiful, sharp detail and all there.  Thanks to you and Dane for verifying the coin.  I appreciate the opinions and help.  Jim
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

All coins are guaranteed for eternity