Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: new Licinius I  (Read 643 times)

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
new Licinius I
« on: May 02, 2008, 04:56:55 pm »
Can someone please help me attribute my new Licinius I?
What mint is it?
What is the meaning of the markings on the reverse right field ?
What is the RIC number?
What denomination is it?
Appreciate all the help,
Thanks
Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.- Alexander Hamilton
My Gallery:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21532

Offline snorkelpaleis

• Caesar
Re: new Licinius I
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 05:36:01 pm »
Obv: IMP C VAL LICIN LICINIVS P F AVG
Rev: IOVI CONS-ERVATORI

SMALA in exe

X over II(half) :Greek_Mu:

RIC VII Alexandria 28

Rated: R1

edit: Mint is alexandria, denomination is Aes Folles.
Carpe narem

Offline Brian L

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 06:22:16 pm »
thanks for the attribute- snorkelpaleis
but what does X over II(half) [Greek_Mu] mean?
I thought it was a  Greek Gamma
thanks again.
Those who stand for nothing,will fall for anything.- Alexander Hamilton
My Gallery:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=21532

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 07:48:36 pm »
Hi Brian!

X II (half M) should be read as 12 1/2, meaning 12 1/2 denarii communes, the value of this follis. The first folles have had a value of 25 denarii. So you can recognize the deterioration of the folles! (Howgego, Geld in der antiken Welt, p.248 and 253)

Best regards

vic9128

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 08:58:30 pm »
"The IOVI coins were issued as part of a coin reform by Licinius in his territories (mints of Heraclea, Nicomedia, Cyzicus, Antioch, and Alexandria) and were reduced in value from 25, to 12 and a half. These coins had negligible amounts of silver, while coins issued by Constantine at this time had around two percent. As a result these coins had no value outside the territory of Licinius.

On the reverse, in the right field, there is an X over I I followed by an episemon ( An episemon is a sign that stands for a number) for the symbol half, so this coin literally gives its value as 12 and a half.

"The last sign is clearly an episemon, epigraphically employed for S(emis) also." RIC VII p. 12

Semis literally means half, and the semis coin was valued at half an As. Often, the semis coin had a greek letter similar to an S on it. The example below has it on the obverse to the right of the bust

The episemon on the IOVI coins is a stylized version of the symbol on the semis coin, and literally means half."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity