Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Islamic lump coin? 5.6grams & 13mm X 7mm thick.  (Read 1075 times)

Offline cars100

• Caesar
  • felicior Augusto, melior Traiano
Islamic lump coin? 5.6grams & 13mm X 7mm thick.
« on: April 30, 2008, 04:27:44 pm »
Hi experts;
This one looks like a lump of copper. Side A has what appears to be Arabic writing. Side B looks like it has nothing on it. It is 5.6grams and 13mm wide by 7mm thick. Any help appreciated. Thanks,
Ray
Raymond Carson

Manzikert

Re: Islamic lump coin? 5.6grams & 13mm X 7mm thick.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 07:09:13 pm »
Hi Ray

I think this is actually a forgery of a Japanese coin, called 'mameita gin' ('bean silver'), see coins 99-101 on this page http://www.sna-sg.com/WorldCoins-1.htm for the type of thing.

The issue is that of the Tempo period 1837-1858, and the 'characters' on your piece are repeated crude representations of the character 'po' of the era-name (I've outlined what the character should look like on the image below).

Whether this is a contemporary or modern forgery I don't know, but the mameita gin of this period should be 26% silver, and yours looks (as you said) to be copper.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline cars100

• Caesar
  • felicior Augusto, melior Traiano
Re: Islamic lump coin? 5.6grams & 13mm X 7mm thick.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 08:02:23 pm »
Hello again Alan;
Wow! It never ceases to amaze me at the diverse knowledge I receive from this Forvm. I didn't even consider a Japanese origin for this coin. Thank-you again Alan.
Regards,
Ray
Raymond Carson

All coins are guaranteed for eternity