Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tomis Assistance  (Read 1267 times)

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Tomis Assistance
« on: April 10, 2008, 09:07:17 am »

I have recently started working again on cataloging my Gordian provincial collection, that is when I am in town and not out chasing our satellite around the country (Here is a non-numismatic link for the Geeks who might be interested! http://countdown.ksc.nasa.gov/elv/public/).

Anyway, in Regling's cataloging of the coinage of Moesia Inferior, Tomis, he generated a list of bust dies for Gordian/Tranquillina - he found 11 dies gives a description of each with inscription. He lists them as alpha, beta, gamma, etc and since AMNG rarely shows the obverse dies one has difficulty deciding which die from Regling's list one's coin might be. So I decided to generate a list from his list including an image of each of the dies from coins in my collection. In the process of putting together my list I may have found a new die, but I am shy two dies to complete the Regling list. My new die may be one of those missing dies, as it matches in several ways the description of the lambda die listed by Regling except for a couple of letters CE, on my die not listed by Regling. Either way, I still am missing at least one die and would certainly like to find another die to confirm if my die is or is not Regling's lambda die. I know that others on this Forum pick up, on occasion, a Gordian and sometimes even one from Tomis and I would like to enlist the Forum's aid in finding an example of Regling's Beta die (If you have AMNG you can easily look up what I am talking about, otherwise you can contact me and request a PDF copy of my list to aid in you in looking through your collection) and a lambda die - or a second die like my die - which I am calling mu for now. Anyone with a few Tomis's in their collection willing to take a look would be of much help. I suspect that the Beta-die is scarce - thus the reason I do not yet have an example.

It took a bit of work to put my list together, but with Dr. Lawrence's translation and a careful examination of the dies based on the descriptions given of features by Regling I was able to match dies with the same inscriptions to their corresponding Regling letter.

c.rhodes

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Tomis Assistance
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 11:41:59 am »
You could try to get images of the coins Regling cites for those two obv. dies.

AMNG 3514, die lambda, Paris.

AMNG 3534, die beta, a) Berlin, Cat. 96, 27 [illustrated? I don't have a copy of the Berlin Cat.]

b) Soutzo, buletinul 1908, 27, 124 [similar query and comment].
Curtis Clay

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 12:18:27 pm »

AMNG 3534 is not illustrated in the Berlin catalog - I include the description below - and I have never heard of or seen the b) reference you list - except in AMNG. For AMNG 3514 - is there a catalog of the Paris Collection that covers Moesia??

c.rhodes

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 12:28:54 pm »
There is no Paris catalogue for Moesia, so you would have to email curators in Paris and Berlin, asking for reproductions of their two coins.

Buletinul 1908 will be a Romanian numismatic periodical.  The fact that Regling doesn't give a plate reference might well mean, as in the case of the Berlin catalogue, that the coin is not illustrated there.
Curtis Clay

Offline Markus

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 01:21:22 pm »
The collection Soutzo is now partly published in:

Petac, E.: La collection M. C. Sutzu 
(Bibliothèque de l'Académie Roumaine, Bucarest)
I. Istro, Kallatis, Tomis 
Moneta 43
2005, 120 pages, 24 plates

Markus

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 01:30:05 pm »
I have this book, which for some mysterious reason contains NO coins of Gord. III with Tranquillina at Tomis, although coins of GIII alone and Tranquillina alone at Tomis are included.
Curtis Clay

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 02:49:50 pm »

Thank you Bacchus (https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=45000.0)! What a small - weirdly connected (twisted) world! After reading Bacchus' post I visited his page and then pulled out my copy of Mabbott and by chance noticed that he listed some coins for Gordian and Tranquillina. The note attached to number 699 [A better specimen than the one at Paris, alone in the Korpus.]  immediately caught my eye and then I looked closer - Korpus 3514!!! Could this be the elusive Paris coin - lambda bust. Well, the coin just happens to be illustrated and though my copy of the catalog - Durst - is not great I think that I might be able to confirm that it is indeed the lambda bust - thus filling in a hole for me! If someone has a better copy/original of the Mabbott catalog a better image might be obtained...

c.rhodes

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 02:54:05 pm »
Hi Charles - I had read your original post and was just scanning you the page --   ;D

On it's way - I've emailed you it as the scan is rather large in size

Malcolm

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 03:41:59 pm »

Thank you Malcolm for your generosity. I include here scans of Mabbott 699 showing the lambda-die, AMNG 3514. Between the two images one can see that the die matches the description given by Regling.

c.rhodes

All coins are guaranteed for eternity