Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antioch mint Philip with corrected die?  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Antioch mint Philip with corrected die?
« on: April 09, 2008, 08:12:49 am »
I was describing this coin (see below), when I noticed the weird P in the reverse legend. I was wondering if this could be a corrected die, as there are multiple examples of this issue with a reverse legend starting RM in stead of PM, possibly because of the confusing letter P representing different sounds in Latin and Greek alphabets. It seems that the vertical bar of P is engraved two times, and that the diagonal bar of a previous R is filled in to make it a well-seriffed P. But then again, the examples with the engraving error have more of an A-shaped R, whith two vertical bars. I was wondering what your thoughts are on this coin.
Regards
Gert

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Antioch mint Philip with corrected die?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 10:36:29 am »
Seems plausible.

Now you need to find the same rev. die in uncorrected state, still showing R M!
Curtis Clay

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 03:43:09 am »
On the other hand, the reverse die also appears to have had a lack of retouching: from about 11 to 2 o'clock there's a bent line beneath the letters of the legend which seems to me is the remnant of a line meant to aid the engraver placing the letters orderly.
Regards
Gert

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 02:10:47 pm »
What does anyone make of the PP letters having fancy bottoms while the TRP and obverse P's do not?  Chasing accidents and intents will always be hard but the 'font' variations on this coin has to make you wonder if the big P was changed or just got carried away adding serifs? 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity