Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Roman Provincial Coins (Moderators: slokind, jmuona, tjaart)  |  Topic: Confirmed identification: Bithynian Hadrian 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Confirmed identification: Bithynian Hadrian  (Read 1625 times)
slokind
Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Art is an experimental science

« on: April 07, 2008, 04:56:55 pm »

When, I hope, clinching identification becomes available, I'll try to take a definitive photo of it and post the whole package here.
In the meantime, see: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=44426.msg281433#msg281433 (reply#17).  All my wonderful friends have been helping me identify this (to me) wonderful coin.  I'll let others pay for a Hadrian sestertius (not that I wouldn't like to have one).
If you go to Coin Archives and look under Bithynium-Claudiopolis (carefully eliminating Ninica-Claudiopolis), what you find is portraits of the hometown boy, Antinous.  In fact, though, Rec Gén has only one good-sized coin for Hadrian (p. 271, no. 11) at B.-Cl., and Curtis wrote that all three of his Imhoof-Blumer books had none for this mintBMC has none, Lindgren had none, and all the SNG are "----".  This is why, despite the - Greek_Delta Greek_Iota Greek_Omicron on mine, and the preservation of the  Greek_Kappa Greek_Lambda Greek_Alpha Greek_Upsilon_2 Greek_Delta Greek_Iota Greek_Omicron on von Aulock 296, we all have hesitated to believe what Icard (that  Greek_Delta Greek_Iota Greek_Omicron) led me to.  If this pans out, Pete (Akropolis) got it first, finding von Aulock 296 before I even sent it to Curtis.  I only narrowed it down, and so did Doug Smith.  Look at the link (above) for the Swiss contribution.
Pat L.
slokind
Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
IMPERATOR
Caesar

Art is an experimental science

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 03:24:24 pm »

Michel Amandry at the Cabinet des Médailles was quick to help us:
He does not know the coin, but the attribution is certainly right, he said.  "The style is similar to Rec. 11", the somewhat larger coin which is in Paris.  "A new addition to the RPC III manuscript".
Last night I took another photograph, with the lamps a little different.  Here it is (though still not from the best camera):
Bithynium-Claudiopolis.  Æ25  9.74G  axis 6:30h.  Hadrian, laureate, bust in armor with cloak, from in front.

This is one of the most interesting coins I ever got.  I only had put a 'snipe' on it because I wanted to study it.
Pat L.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Roman Provincial Coins (Moderators: slokind, jmuona, tjaart)  |  Topic: Confirmed identification: Bithynian Hadrian « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop