Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman 20mm orichalcum, semis or late as?  (Read 587 times)

E Pinniger

Roman 20mm orichalcum, semis or late as?
« on: April 05, 2008, 10:55:47 am »
This is a 20mm orichalcum Roman coin which I originally thought was a provincial, until I saw the "S C" on the reverse.

The reverse appears to show a figure standing right holding an object - globe? in one hand. Traces of legend are visible but not readable. The coin is much clearer "in hand" than in the photo, the pitted surface makes it hard to photograph.

It's far too small for a 1st century as, but maybe a bit large for a semis, - could it be a late 2nd century as? The obverse portrait looks like it could be Severus Alexander.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Roman 20mm orichalcum, semis or late as?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 04:25:30 pm »
Maybe Gordian III As, a type struck with dates TR P III, IIII, V, and VI.
Curtis Clay

E Pinniger

Re: Roman 20mm orichalcum, semis or late as?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 02:05:25 pm »
Thanks for the help! That's definitely the coin I have.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity