Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gordian Viminacium Sestertius - a contemporary imitation?  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Gordian Viminacium Sestertius - a contemporary imitation?
« on: April 05, 2008, 06:31:09 am »
This one shows a rather "barbarous" style:

Viminacium in Moesia Superior, Gordian III., 243-244 AD. (year 5 of the Colonial Era of Viminacium).,
Æ Sestertius (29-30 mm / 18,00 g),
Obv.: IMP GOR[DI]ANVS PIVS FEL AVG , laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian right, seen from (behind?).
Rev.: P M S C - OL VIM / AN V (in ex.) , Moesia standing facing, head left, extending hands to bull and lion standing at feet on either side.
Pick, AMNG I, 37, 92 ;

same obverse die as SNGuk_0800_0312 see:

http://www.s110120695.websitehome.co.uk/SNG/sng_reply2a.php?verb=SNGuk_0800_0312
 (SNG Vol: VIII 312 Blackburn Museum)

What do you think? A contemporary imitation by a local Balkan mint?

Thanks

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: Gordian Viminacium Sestertius - a contemporary imitation?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 06:44:13 am »
A rather unusual portrait, but else, the coin looks perfectly fine for Viminacium. Certainly official, I'd say.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 02:21:43 pm »
Official.  George Spradling
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

leemjvd

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 03:08:25 pm »
It absolutely looks OK. I have got quite a few Viminaciums and the problem is that the Yugo Maffia at least 'repatinates' them,. I put that between quotes  because I think they just put shoepolish on them :-) . The quality I have

http://www.mimala.nl/micoi/-05th/startpage/starters-prov-cb.html#Vimi

is certainly low. Faces tend to be OK and follow the 'rules' of changing a bit with the reign. All early coins are thick and legend should be in line (later ones tend to get sloppy).  I agree the face of yr coin is a bit hohum but may have been retooled. Sometimes they come out of the earth with a thick -real tough ! - crust on them. 

I tend to agree with the other gents. Dont lose sleep over it :-)

Greetz
Michael van der Lee

Offline scottatlaw

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 11:42:56 am »
Nope, yours is official.  Its a year 3 Sestertius and these coins were all over the place when it comes to style of the portrait.  Some specimens were absoluetly gorgeous, and others look like yours.  :)  While it does look tooled, I believe you coin has not been and is entirely original, that is simply how this coin was "supposed" to look.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 05:21:28 pm »
Except for the small damage at the reverse exergue and some highest spots the coin is as found after resting in the soil for (1700 + x) years.

Offline scottatlaw

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:31:31 am »
Just to clarify what I said:  I wasn't saying it was tooled, rather, the style of these coins (at least for my eyes) is that they APPEAR to have been tooled.  I agree that the details of this coin's design are 100% "original".

Honestly, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why Viminacium's coins sometimes look like this in year 3 and parts of early year 4.  We know they had some highly skilled celators in year 2:

http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/28887.php

And in year 4 too:

http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/25002.php

Don't get me wrong, there are some good looking year 3's out there, but the style displayed on your coin is pretty typical.

I guess they they were short handed or something and let an apprentices cut a few dies.

Scott S.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity