Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

Based on the posts and coins I see discussed here, it looks like most people here collect Roman coins over Greek.  What do you collect?

I collect ONLY Roman coins
9 (15.3%)
I collect Mostly Roman coins with a few Greek or other ancients thrown in the mix
27 (45.8%)
I collect Mostly Greek coins with a few Roman or other ancients thrown in the mix
7 (11.9%)
I collect ONLY Greek coins
4 (6.8%)
I collect a mix of Ancients with no particular focus on any culture
9 (15.3%)
Other (describe below)
3 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Greek or Roman  (Read 5220 times)

IhsantheCursed

Re: Greek or Roman
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 05:29:41 am »
Only Romans for me brothers. Hail Caesar!

Ihsan -  ;)

Offline Sap

• Consul
  • It's already tomorrow in Australia.
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 06:53:17 am »
I ticked the "mix" box. My ancients collection is really just an extension of my general world coin collection, which doesn't really have much of a theme except geography: "one from every country". In ancients, my themes are: one from every Greek, Greek-Imperial and non-classical coin-issuing city (an impossible goal, I realise), one from every Roman emperor, and one from every late-period Roman mint-city.

I have more Roman than anything else, but that's simply because there's more Roman to buy around here than anything else. Living in Terra Australis as I do, ancient coins come from the far side of the world, and not many make it this far. We can't be too fussy about what we collect down here.
I'll have to learn Latin someday.

Offline Ecgþeow

• Consul
    • my gallery
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 08:20:52 pm »
For the most part my coins are Roman/Byzantine (mostly Denarii), but I also have a small collection of Judaean coins (and Judaea related coins - Aelia Capitolina, Islamic Jerusalem, Crusader Jerusalem).  I also have a small Greek collection, and an assortment of odds and ends.
I suppose I would specialize, but any time I consider it, the coins quickly become too expensive, and then I lose interest...
~Zach

rasielsuarez

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 11:40:11 pm »
"me too"

while i dabble a bit in other areas the roman empire's where my heart's at. to me greek coins are like jewelry. beautiful to look at but i personally feel no need to possess them.

i also like to display my collection and even write fluffy commentary on my acquisitions:

http://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/grid28.php

ras

All coins are guaranteed for eternity