Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hungarian ID Help Requested  (Read 1336 times)

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
Hungarian ID Help Requested
« on: March 22, 2008, 06:08:12 pm »
Hello!

I am in need of some help for the following two coins!  An Huszar number greatly appreciated!  Also mint, ruler, etc.

The first coin appears to be an Obolu sof Matthias Corvinus.  Mint?  The coin is about 11+ mm. in diameter.

The second coin - I BELIEVE to be Hungarian. I have seen similar issues with the 2 Peacocks, but usually there is a Hebrew letter between the birds -- here it appears to be a tree!  There is a king facing left; legend is visible. Possibly KARVL RE...
Karoly Robert?

Many thanks!

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

Cibalia

Re: Hungarian ID Help Requested
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 11:23:32 pm »
The first is as you say, an obolus of Matthew Corvine, I think Huszar 727. I can't see the mintmark though.
The 2nd is a denar of Charles Robert
KARVL' REX
Huszar 453

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
    • FORVM GALLERIES
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 03:44:31 am »
Cibalia -

Many, many thanks!  The first scan is the best I could do -- On the Mathias coin, I can clearly see an "H" on the right side.
I can't see anything on the other side clearly.

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Cibalia

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 04:00:46 am »
A 'H'? Strange, there is no mintmark with H on the right for this series (or the two similar ones)

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
    • FORVM GALLERIES
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 09:16:58 pm »
Hi again!

Perhaps it's not an "H" after all!  I'm STILL not as good as I'd like to be reading these letters!  Someone on the German forum identified it as such:

Huszár-727/Unger-577/Réthy 2-243  But I still don't know the mint!

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity