Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Total mystery this one  (Read 582 times)

coinbarrow

Total mystery this one
« on: March 22, 2008, 02:57:44 pm »
Hi,
This coin is about 22-23mm diam. Initially I couldn't give it orientation until I thought I could see human shape on each side - or is it my imagination ?  Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Cheers

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Total mystery this one
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 06:30:49 pm »
This coin is outside my collecting area, but I'm pretty sure that it's from the Kushan Empire (northern India) Ca. 3rd century AD.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 07:29:10 pm »
Because of how the seated king is depicted on the obverse (bottom image), I am fairly sure this is late in Huvishka's reign.  He reigned from 158 to 195 A.D.

This coin should weigh between 7 to 10 grams.  Most likely this is what Mitchiner calls the South-eastern series, minted in Mathura.  Obv. King seated facing with his knees apart and head left: holding a scepter in his right hand.  Rev: Standing radiate sun god Mithra with Tamgha beside.  Name of Mithra is spelled NIIPO.

Mitchiner's Ancient & Classical World numbers 3331 to 3333.

coinbarrow

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 07:34:39 am »
Superb, thank you.

The weight is 8.5grams exactly.

I was thinking about trying to clean it up a bit but it actually looks quite attractive as it is !

Cheers

All coins are guaranteed for eternity