Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coins storage in plastic holders causes bronze disease?  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Anachoret

• Praetorian
Coins storage in plastic holders causes bronze disease?
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:56:01 pm »
Dear collectors,
I have heard what to store bronze coins in plastic containers harmfully because it can cause bronze disease. I store my bronze coins in "Leuchtturm" holders, but I am not sure now what it is correct. What is your opinion? Do you have any own experience of coins damaging from contact with plastic?
Thanks, Pavel

vic9128

Re: Coins storage in plastic holders causes bronze disease?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 04:51:27 pm »
Just make sure that holders do not contain PVC.

Offline John the Chess Guy

• Praetorian
  • Amici Sumus! We are friends!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »
Quote from: IVLIANVS on April 28, 2008, 03:56:01 pm
Dear collectors,
I have heard what to store bronze coins in plastic containers harmfully because it can cause bronze disease. I store my bronze coins in "Leuchtturm" holders, but I am not sure now what it is correct. What is your opinion? Do you have any own experience of coins damaging from contact with plastic?
Thanks, Pavel

Hi, Pavel

Specifically, the newer Lighthouse flips/holders are archival safe/no PVC...

Some of their older flips and pages are vinyl, so it would be a good idea to check the coins from time
to time, if you are using vinyl pages...

BTW, the flips that FORVM sells are non-PVC, too.

I've given up on 2x2 pages completely, and now use 2x2 double-row cardboard boxes.

John
LM ANA 2342 / LM CSNS 337
SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 05:40:27 pm »
I don't like the cardboard things since I can't get the coin out easily, and there isn't enough space for all the info I want to keep with it. I've been using FORVM flips for quite some time, and haven't come across better. It's the solvents in the PVC that cause the problem, which is quite distinct from BD.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 05:57:50 pm »
I had my coins in soft flips containing PVC when I started out, and some of the bronzes got a sort of green corrosion, looking like verdigris but undoubtedly something different.  I switched to archival flips then!  I am using Kointainer saflips; these come with a handy box.  I don't know what kind Forum sell - there is no picture or brand name in their catalogue, but if Robert says they're fine, then they are. Whatever you use, I suggest giving your coins a hands-on check at regular intervals.  That way, you will catch things like the start of bronze disease.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Anachoret

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 02:38:17 pm »
Thank you for your opinions. One more question.  Do is exists any difference in safety for bronze coins between Lighthouse and Hartberger holders? Regards, Pavel

vic9128

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 02:42:10 pm »
Quote from: IVLIANVS on April 29, 2008, 02:38:17 pm
Do is exists any difference in safety for bronze coins between Lighthouse and Hartberger holders?

Neither contain chemical softeners (PVC).

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 02:50:13 pm »
If your looking for PVC free pages for your binders, try the archival pages for 35 mm slides. They are the same size as the coin pages and hold the same amount (20) per page. Look for them at any camera shop.

Offline Anachoret

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 03:23:45 am »
Dear Bruce,
Your notice is quite philosophical... You are absolutely right from historical point of view. It is great happiness for all collectors - and for me of course - that these rarities are still exist. Nevertheless, I should store them better as I like these things... Thank you for your post,
Pavel

All coins are guaranteed for eternity