Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sadigh Gallery of New York  (Read 22668 times)

alfredjones

Sadigh Gallery of New York
« on: March 07, 2008, 03:35:20 pm »
Recently I came across a catelog from Sadigh Gallery. It was extensive, really extensive. Although one is hard pressed to tell with accuracy regarding authenticity, most of pieces offered appeared to me to be fakes. Anyone have any experience with this gallery. Thanks

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Sadigh Gallery of New York
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 04:51:27 pm »
They're notorious. Avoid!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Ghengis_Jon

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 06:01:54 pm »
Everyone go out to their website and request the catalog.  Its partly in color and expensive so you can do your part against fake sellers by making it costly for them to do business.

E Pinniger

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 05:26:45 am »
This is very bad - about 75% of the Roman and Greek silver coins in their catalogue are blatantly obvious fakes, even to my fairly inexperienced eye (and it wouldn't surprise me if most of the remaining 25% are less obvious fakes!). The bronzes look OK, though mostly over-cleaned.
Is there anything that can be done about this, legally? It seems that it should be much harder for a large, well known dealer like this to get away with it, compared to an anonymous eBay seller.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts about the authenticity of some of the (non-coin) antiquities they're selling? Although I don't have much knowledge of this area, some of the items they are selling look distinctly suspicious, such as the Roman glass intaglios without a trace of wear, dirt or age (possible for a carved hardstone piece, maybe, but surely not glass)

On a lighter note, I noticed  the descriptions on some of their coin lots: "Bronze and in low condition, but visible". It's good to see that, whilst they might be selling fakes, at least they're not selling invisible coins ;D

joshua benevento

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 11:38:26 am »
haha.  Good observation.

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 01:00:48 pm »
its really something else... actually it was one of the first sites i found when trying to find roman artifacts. Unfortunatly when you google 'ancient artifacts' or 'buy ancient artifacts' his is one of the first sites shown. Novice members of the hobby probably get drawn to that store everyday. Its pretty much all crap
Adversus solem ne loquitor

Offline Wolfpack

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 01:28:49 pm »
Inter-state fraud committed particularly through the USPS is a felony.  Even using other shipping I believe it still is.  I'm not sure which law enforcement agency though should be involved with interstate commerce.  Prod the right people and I bet there could be an investigation and I assume those would yield charges.

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 05:54:33 pm »
Theirs is a mix of legit and not. The bronzes I have seen from there are definitely good. Stay far away from the silver and gold, though. Artifacts are a mix as well, much highly questionable, some okay. They use UPS exclusively, which is not goverened by the same regulations as the USPS.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Bill S

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 06:35:07 pm »
USPS has its own regulations and enforcement potentials, but UPS is still interstate commerce and actions would be at a federal level.

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 03:45:52 pm »
There bronze coins are actually pretty good, 2(both bronze) of my best coins are from there. Although their stuff is fake, it is still fun to go to their store. It's like going to a crazy museum except the stuff is fake, it's also fun to see the ridiculous stuff they're selling. I was first alarmed that I bought those 2 coins from them, but now that I know the stuff is probably real(just overcleaned), I kind of like their store. ::) Their LRBs aren't that bad. Although I must say I fell pretty bad for the customer there that asked about the "roman earrings" being authentic, as he made molds of them and sold advertised as "real roman earring molds". And of course he was told they were authentic. But watch on buying anything from there, and don't buy if you have the chance, buy from a better store like Forvm,where you know everything will be real, and the price pays to make sure of that.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 01:03:27 am »
I have been getting a big beautiful color catalog from them for about a year now. It goes straight into the recycling bin. Must cost him a mint.

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 09:48:24 am »
Thought I'd bump this one as it is a hot topic.

mz

Offline driekus

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 04:58:40 pm »
Catalog requested.  ;D

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 05:45:01 pm »
Catalog requested.  ;D

Same here ;)

Interestingly, I used the words 'sadighsucks' for my password and it was accepted.  ::)

mz

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 09:57:15 am »
Just a few days ago I bought a number of products from the new arrival section of Sadigh gallery. Actually I am not a new customer for them. Even me ad my friends are very much satisfied with their products and we have no doubt about the authenticity and ethnicity of the products of this gallery. They are just the best even with their reasonable price as well. This is undoubtedly an excellent gallery for such products with the huge collection and their availability. I prefer to enhance my collection through this gallery, as it is not very often when you find and get the chance of such a beautiful and authentic gallery.

;D ;D ;D

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 09:58:25 am »
Just a few days ago I bought a number of products from the new arrival section of Sadigh gallery. Actually I am not a new customer for them. Even me ad my friends are very much satisfied with their products and we have no doubt about the authenticity and ethnicity of the products of this gallery. They are just the best even with their reasonable price as well. This is undoubtedly an excellent gallery for such products with the huge collection and their availability. I prefer to enhance my collection through this gallery, as it is not very often when you find and get the chance of such a beautiful and authentic gallery.

I give this troll a D. Put some more effort into it next time.
Andreas Reich

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 10:00:38 am »

Quite generous of you, actually ;)

mz

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 10:01:15 am »

;D ;D ;D

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 10:11:42 am »

Strange that you would order from a gallery in NYC when your IP orginates from India?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 10:51:29 am »

Strange that you would order from a gallery in NYC when your IP orginates from India?

RUMBLED!!!!!

.....................as if you had any chance of getting away with it! Thanks for the laugh anyway! :laugh:

Suetonius

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 08:36:24 pm »
Mr. Sadigh's attempts to produce fake 'customer' messages are about as transparently obvious and unintelligent as his fake coins and other artifacts

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 09:28:33 pm »
People like Sadigh make it hard to believe in karma, to be making thousands if not millions annually on selling fake items and cheating hard working people. 

You would think this guy would spontaneously combust with all the bad karma surrounding him!

But alas, karma has it's ways of catching up with people, wether in a good way, or not.
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 04:00:56 am »

You would think this guy would spontaneously combust with all the bad karma surrounding him!

We can only hope that he will and that it will take his crummy fake bazaar with him!

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 05:05:19 am »

You are not the only one. I love Sadigh Gallery too.
Just a few days ago I bought a number of forgeries from the new arrival section of  his Gallery.. Actually,as a collector of fakes,I am not a new customer for them.Me and my friends are very satisfied with their fakes and have no doubt about the genuine  fakery of the products of this Gallery.They are just the best and have the highest prices for crap.
This is undoubtedly an excellent  gallery for such products with a huge collection and availability ( you can buy the same fakes by the dozen.).I prefer to enhance my collection through this gallery because very,very rarely you have the chance of finding  anything similar.

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 05:19:05 am »

Hi. Hamry .And I do love their advertisements.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity