Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sadigh Gallery of New York  (Read 22732 times)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Sadigh Gallery of New York
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2012, 05:42:38 pm »
They look like genuine overcleaned coins to me.
Andreas Reich

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2012, 07:32:05 am »
Most of his late Roman bronze coins are genuine.  These are probably OK.  To get a group of well centered coins, identically cleaned, you just need to select them from a pick-box full of coins that are identically cleaned.  On the other hand, it isn't possible to say they are geniune from the photograph.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Strobilus2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Praetorian
  • Ancient Lamps Expert
    • RomQ Collection - Ancient Lamps
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2021, 05:50:01 pm »
David Knell

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2021, 06:19:36 pm »
Amazing!

Offline 77HK77

• Caesar
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2021, 09:58:27 pm »
From the article:
When investigators looked into the Sadigh Gallery, Mr. Bogdanos said, they found not a sidewalk peddler of cheap knockoffs, but someone “too big to not investigate.”

In the spirit of Benito I'm smiling

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2021, 12:32:19 am »
I miss Benito...

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2021, 09:40:44 am »
The BEST part - well, aside from Sadigh being arrested - is this line: " Investigators also found a number of tools such as varnish, sanders, spray paint, and earthy materials".

Or possibly this: "Professor Bjorn Anderson and his assistant Erin Daly perused Sadigh Gallery’s website, wondering how the dealer could possibly offer “11 copies of the same statue for sale”. He also noted that statues of the same exact shape could be purchased in different patinas including blue, green, and gold. “I don’t know anything about this,” Sadigh told the paper in response."

So both crooked and stupid!  I mean have the workshop for making your fakes in a room right behind the shop where you sell the stuff, really!!!  The place must have reeked of varnish and paint sometimes. 

I was in New York about 5 years ago and really wanted to drop in, as I had heard of all the fakes.  I wanted to see for myself and see what "lines" I could get him or his staff to try on me - as a "naive but well-dressed customer".... 

Sadly, by the time I got out of my meetings it was half an hour too late.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity