Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What cleaning strategy to apply?  (Read 946 times)

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
What cleaning strategy to apply?
« on: March 01, 2008, 01:01:46 pm »
Could you, please, give me an advice how to clean this sestertius.
Or it is better not to touch this ugly concretions?

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: What cleaning strategy to apply?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 07:33:27 pm »
I would try  very light pressure  with the side of a pinvise  ..pressure should be applied to the edge of the dirt.  I have seen this dirt  before  and it should flake off when pressure is applied.........**** use only  the side of the pin ,  the point of the pin vise will break throught the dirt  and patina  and wreck it

NOTE...this is only  my opinion,  as I do not want to be help responsible for damaging such a nice coin   :)

let me know if you try it and how it turns out

cheers

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Re: What cleaning strategy to apply?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 08:41:53 pm »
Ave!

I would try  very light pressure  with the side of a pinvise  ..pressure should be applied to the edge of the dirt.  I have seen this dirt  before  and it should flake off when pressure is applied.........**** use only  the side of the pin ,  the point of the pin vise will break throught the dirt  and patina  and wreck it

NOTE...this is only  my opinion,  as I do not want to be help responsible for damaging such a nice coin :)

let me know if you try it and how it turns out

cheers

Excellent advise, Johnny!

If this technique fails, a soak the coin in DW and then gently remove the hard dirt with a common dental pick.

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity