Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Hanukkah Sameach! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Hanukkah!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958. Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas!!! Tell them you want a coin from FORVM for Christmas!!!! Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone 252-646-1958.

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Varangian, Arados)  |  Topic: Isegrim Really Works / Really Working With Isegrim 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Isegrim Really Works / Really Working With Isegrim  (Read 49408 times)
archivum
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 05:55:49 am »

-- Many thanks to Catyanda at

www.forumancientcoins.com/biard/index.php?topic=54577.0

for relaying the good news that Isegrim is working again, via this new address:

http://isegrim.dasr.de/isegrim/anmelden.html

I do not know the details, but we doubtless now owe Harald Laabs a big round of thanks too; he was a principal spokesman for Isegrim in 2001, and he still signs its search-page in Isegrim's new Web-domain.  Great to get back this excellent website, which undoubtedly merits a few -- at least -- Forum Awards (none at all to its name so far!).  Here's the Forum Awards nominations-page:

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=19255.0

Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.
Tom Mullally
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 05:52:33 pm »

I'm not sure it's working properly.  I tried to enter both Bithynia and Nicaea (in English and German) and had zero results.

Tom

Tom Mullally

Coin Project - Co-founder and Assistant Director
archivum
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 07:42:37 pm »

You may need to adjust your specifier- or "descriptor"-prefix, for Bithynia, PRO:BITHYNIA, and for Nicaea, PO:NICAEA (lower-case will work, too).  Both of those worked for me just this morning.   Edit 07/10/09: All commands for the database now work as sketched in the user's guide starting this thread (and remember, the simpler the better when you launch a search!); with this brief user's guide and the Isegrim window itself, you may want a third browser-window open to search image-resources like wildwinds, acsearch.info, or the digitized volumes now linked via

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=32513.0 and

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=54203.0.

aragon6
Comitia Curiata
Praetorian

Violent times..yet the beauty they created is here

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 10:34:32 am »

Was stuck initially but you are right...................the less said the better.  I just put in VT:FAUSTINA PRO:PHYRGIA and it gave me exactly what I wanted Grin

archivum
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 03:08:52 pm »

Right you are; the simpler the better when you launch a search; if you find yourself swamped with unhelpful results, you can then add another "descriptor" when there's a real need.

esnible
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 06:34:33 pm »

I realize this thread is eight years old.

On another forum someone was saying they don't use ISEGRIM because it is too difficult to learn.

I created a proof-of-concept for searching ISEGRIM using forms.  My experimental site is at http://isegrim.mybluemix.net .  If you already know ISEGRIM this site still gives one advantage because it alters search responses to the BMC Greek catalogs to be hyperlinks.  So if you are in the United States you can just click.

I sent an email to the ISEGRIM contact address but got no response.  It is possible they will ask me to take it down.  Or maybe they will let me contribute it to their site.  So the URL is temporary.
archivum
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 07:22:20 am »

Looks great, Ed; probably still worth importing remarks about quirks in accepted - "standard" Isegrim formatting (Latinized place-names, non-Latinized persons,etc.). Also, the wildcard * still appears to need work (Isegrim wildcard .* works at virtually all points); when I enter obverse-legend *domna I get 72 hits, but get no hits at all entering *domna*.

esnible
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2017, 11:00:50 am »

Also, the wildcard * still appears to need work (Isegrim wildcard .* works at virtually all points); when I enter obverse-legend *domna I get 72 hits, but get no hits at all entering *domna*.

Thank you for your feedback!

I only know how I use ISEGRIM.  My hope was to make the tool useful to as many people as possible, including folks who use it differently from me.

I have only used wildcards in inscriptions.  Most web apps use * instead of .* for wildcards so I tried to make my version translate * into .*, but only on inscriptions.  Would it help to enable wildcards everywhere?  I tried your example, and got 72 hits for *domna, but for *domna* I got 500 hits, the maximum, not the zero you saw.

I thought the best option for the Latinized place names was the Latin auto-complete.  Can you think of a better way to do it?

I have no clue how to guide people to use "IULIA" instead of "JULIA", any thoughts?

Would it be of value to convert inscription results from the Latin alphabet to Greek?  Would it be of value to accept both Latin and Greek characters in the query form, translating into the Latin characters the search engine actually needs?
archivum
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2017, 08:44:18 pm »

I too got 500 this time around with *domna*, so it must have been just a misentry the first time around. (Indeed it would be useful if your "* is wildcard" could apply to all your featured inputs, and then you could state that right up front, to head off any doubts.) As for getting around the descriptor-quirks currently in Isegrim, one good partial fix is to note that a wildcard-ending for personal names (BTW, these are flagged as types rather than inscriptions in Isegrim) may work better than spelling-in-full (e.g., teleph* will get you to Telephus even though Isegrim lists him as "Telephos" and requires at least teleph.* for the search). A full list of counterintuitive Isegrim descriptors would also be helpful but is still quite a big work in progress; for some quick help with that, and a quick introduction, I'd say you might as well just send folks back to http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=44094.0, where I've added a link to your frame. Finally, it'd be helpful if the new frame included options for Province-inputs and Citation-inputs (= current PRO and ZIT), with a handy link to Isegrim's own lists of sources and abbreviations (see (dots2)), and I'd rather call "Metal" what you call "Composition" at present. But the new frame is clearly all your fine new work, and all yours to revise as you please.

(dots2) See screenshot below [one last minor detail: on your new frame's front page, "manditory" => "mandatory"]:

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2019, 09:09:05 am »

I have a confession.  I have never used ISEGRIM.  I am ready to try and I plan to write ISEGRIM instructions for dummies, IF I figure it out.  I will need help.

What do the following known aspects codes mean, and what is the German that is abbreviated??

ERD
PH
SP
BN
BT
TI
SG

For the following codes, what is the German that is abbreviated? 
PO - Mint city
PRO - Mint province
PZ1/PZ2 - year
ZIT - collection or reference
VGL - compare with reference

This is probably only the first couple in a long list of questions.  Thanks for the help

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
shanxi
Tribunus Plebis 2018
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2019, 09:34:17 am »

ERD: Area - Erdteil
PH: Minting authority - Prägeherr
SP: Games - Spiele
BN: Name of magistrate - Beamtenname
BT: Title of magistrate - Beamtentitulatur
TI: Title/ Honorific of the town - Stadttitulatur
SG:  coins from the same die or dies -  stempelgleiche Stücke

PO:  Prägeort
PRO: Provinz
PZ:  Prägezeit
ZIT: Zitat - beschriebenes Stück
VGL: vergleichbare Stücke

To say the truth, I copied these from:

http://isegrim.dasr.de/isegrim/anleitung_e.html  (english)
http://isegrim.dasr.de/isegrim/anleitung_d.html (same in german)

Scroll down to point 5

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2019, 11:09:45 am »

Thanks Ralf T.   I did not know that existed.

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Gert
Caesar

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2019, 11:51:13 am »

Joe, I would advise you start with just PO: PRO: (city and province) and VT: RT: (obv./rev. main type). That way you will get some results you search further with control F. It remains a pain to find out which way you have to spell all these things. Getting no results may mean you misspelled, not that it doesn't exist. You can always master more of these search angles later.
Regards
Gert

Joe Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM STAFF
Caesar

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2019, 01:13:04 pm »

Thanks Gert. I have some idea of how inflexible it is from just playing around. Severus Alexander does not work but Sev. Alexander does. Interesting. 

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Resources  |  Identification Help (Moderators: Varangian, Arados)  |  Topic: Isegrim Really Works / Really Working With Isegrim « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop