Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: please ID islamic gold.  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Maritima

• Praetorian
please ID islamic gold.
« on: February 29, 2008, 10:22:21 am »
 please ID this coin islamic
mint and ruler

Manzikert

Re: please ID islamic gold.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 08:09:19 pm »
Hi Maritima

This is an Abbasid dinar, and at this time the only information on the coin (apart from a few struck in Egypt with the mintname Misr) is the year of minting, in this case 198 Hijra.

Though there is no mintname on it the coin must have been struck in Baghdad, the main gold mint.

Unfortunately 198 is the last year of al-Amin (193-198) and the first year of al-Ma'mun (198-218), so it is impossible to say who was caliph when it was struck, though as al-Amin died very early in the year it is most likely to have been struck under al-Ma'mun.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Maritima

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 03:59:41 pm »
Thank you very much for quick reply.

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 04:05:45 pm »
This coin is citing Al Ma'moun as Caliph and Al Mutaileb-Mint Misr[Egypt] year 198 H-Rarity:S,It belongs to Al Ma'moun coinage.S.Album[1998]# 222.4
Regards.
Nassif

Manzikert

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 05:14:45 pm »
Hi Nassif

Now you tell me that al-Mamun (last line in centre on top image) and al-Muttalib (last line in centre on bottom image I think) are there I can see them, but I still can't find Misr: I'm pretty certain it isn't in the margin with the date.

Help please

Alan

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 12:18:52 am »
Hi Alan;
Yes you are right,regarding the mint[no mention..]it's written:Douriba hasa al dinar sanat thaman wa tesa'in....I guess it was attributed to Misr may be because of the Governor ?Al Mutalib ??
Your feeling is correct ;)
regards.
Nassif

Offline epmunt

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 05:38:21 pm »
I have two simlar Abbasid dinars, Could you help me to tell the date and mint?

Offline epmunt

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 05:39:22 pm »
 Abbasid dinar coin 2

Manzikert

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 07:22:18 pm »
Hi epmunt

With a certain amount of trepidation I will try and get these ones right :)

Your second piece has no mint or extra inscriptions, and is dated 158 H, so must be a coin of Baghdad, but this year is also split between two caliphs, al-Mansur (136-158 H) and al-Mehedi (158-169 H)

The engraving on your first coin is rather sloppy, but I'm pretty sure it is dated 244 H, which would make the caliph al-Mutawakkil (232-247 H). I can't however make out the name of a mint: perhaps Nassif can point us in the right direction :)

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 12:36:44 am »
Hi;
Alan is right on both coins regarding the date,i don't see mint name....
regards.
Nassif
PS:we can read on the 1st one:Ali[ Ali...],and down:Li Mohamad{For Mohamad...]

Manzikert

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »
Hi Nassif

Sorry for the late reply, but I've not been on the computer for a couple of days.

Thank you very much for that confirmation: some things I can be reasonably confident about, such as dates, but the mints can be a lot more difficult to work out.

THanks again

Alan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity