Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze Disease and Billon?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline maelstromracing

• Praetorian
Bronze Disease and Billon?
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:08:21 pm »
I received a very nice Nero coin today and it has what looks like green fuzz on it.  I assume it is bronze disease since billon is a silver copper alloy.  I have gringotts #1 and #2.  I assume #1 would work to take out the BD, but will it cause bad problems if the coin is billon?  thanks!!

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Re: Bronze Disease and Billon?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 08:42:47 pm »
Ave!

Post pix, if you can.

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline maelstromracing

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 10:09:18 am »
A little to post the pic. I gently removed it with a SBBB under water and let it sit in Distilled water for a day,  it seems to have removed it.  This is my first billon coin so I am not sure of all the techniques for cleaning it.  Do you know which Gringotts will harm it or which ones will not harm it?  Thanks!

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 09:52:53 pm »
Ave!

GG's #1 shouldn't cause any problems that I know of.

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity