Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hasmonean Jannaeus Prutah??  (Read 745 times)

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
  • I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Hasmonean Jannaeus Prutah??
« on: February 25, 2008, 08:38:16 pm »
Can anyone confirm that this coin is in fact a coin of Alexander Jannaeus (upside down anchor)?  I think I can make out the anchor on the obverse.  The reverse is a bit of a mess but a ray or two might be visible with eyes better than mine.  Hendin 469??

Thanks,

Steve

Offline John K

• Consul
Re: Hasmonean Jannaeus Prutah??
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 09:45:49 pm »
Steve,

Looking closer at the border around the anchor what if we consider a variation of H. 467?  In that case we would be looking for a lily on the back instead of rays and if so there is the strong line that could be the stem?  The Hendin illustration shows a decorative stem but I have other photos that show variations of a simpler stem... Just a thought.

John

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 08:45:43 pm »
Thanks John!  Good thought.  I will look at it more closely to see if I too can see the stem.

Steve

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 06:38:54 pm »
I don't think it's the lily prutah, since the flower is in fairly high relief, and there's no sign of it. Most likely it's the anchor and star prutah, Hendin 472, but there's not much left of the star.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:43:33 am »
Thanks Robert!  That sort of what I thought.

Steve

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 01:35:31 pm »
Hehehhe
Folks there is a Judaean section to post Judaean coins on it, give me some business plz  >:(
regards
Salem

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 07:42:20 am »
You are right Salem!  I always appreciate your informative and thoughtful responses.  I must have had a senior moment!!!   

Steve

All coins are guaranteed for eternity