Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Probus Antoninian Mint and Date needed!!  (Read 619 times)

Offline Katharosteriphos

• Consul
  • What's the officer, problem?
Probus Antoninian Mint and Date needed!!
« on: February 24, 2008, 05:55:34 pm »
Hi guys!

One more Probus, where I can't seem to find an RIC number, Mint or Date.
Can you help me with this?

Obverse inscription:
IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG
Obverse depiction:
Radiate bust left, wearing imperial mantle, holding sceptre with eagle on top
Reverse inscription:
ROMAE AE-TERNAE
Reverse depiction:
Temple with six columns, Roma within, sitting left, holding Victoria
In the exergue:
XXIIΓ

Thank you in advance!

-kat

PS: Is Probus also wearing a cuirass under the imperial mantle?
God is dead.
   -Nietzsche

Nietzsche is dead.
   -God

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Probus Antoninian Mint and Date needed!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 04:19:12 am »
Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, Radiate bust left in imperial mantle holding eagle-tipped scepter in left
Rev:– ROMAE AETERNAE, Roma seated in temple, holding globe and sceptre; beside her, shield
Minted in Siscia (//XXIV) Emission 4, Officina 5. A.D. 277
Ref:– RIC 739 Bust Type H (rated Scarce). Alföldi type 60, n° 5

Note that it is XXIV in exe rather than XXIIG. There isn't any cuirass under the mantle either it is just detail on the shoulder of the mantle.

Compare with my example from the next officina below:-

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Martin

Offline Katharosteriphos

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 05:17:00 am »
Hi martin!

Thank you for your answer.  :)
Did you note the little difference, that on your coin, Roma holds a globe, and on mine, she's holding a Victory? Interesting.

But I'm a little confused now because of the mint marks. You wrote, your coin has XXIV in the exergue, but on the photo it looks like XXIVI. Does "V" indicate the 5th Officina? Or does "IV" indicate the 4th issue? And, either way, why is there a "I" at the end?  ???
Or does the XXI stand for the 20:1 copper:silver alloy, and your coin is VI (6th officina) and mine's IΓ (13th officina)? Then your attribution to the 5th officina would be wrong.

I'm confused... too bad there's no proper mint mark explanation to be found on google.

Any comments or ideas welcome!

-kat
God is dead.
   -Nietzsche

Nietzsche is dead.
   -God

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 05:40:45 am »
That'll teach me for posting before I drink my coffee and before I look at the coin properly.

I was trying (and failing) to describe your coin in the text. Let me try and correct myself.

Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, Radiate bust left in imperial mantle holding eagle-tipped scepter in left
Rev:– ROMAE AETERNAE, Roma seated in temple, holding Victory and sceptre
Minted in Siscia (//XXIV) Emission 4, Officina 5. A.D. 277
Ref:– RIC 737 Bust Type H (rated Common). Alföldi type 60, n° 5

XXI is what we suppose to be the value mark and this is followed in this series from this mint by the officina. In this issue it taked the form P, S, T, Q, V, VI. Your coin is XXIV and thus officina 5, mine if XXIVI and hence officina 6. Officina 4 would have been Q. There were only 6 officina operating at this mint at this time and so officina 13 simply doesn't make sense. There are no coins with that form of mark for this series. Your coin is either XXIV or XXIVI, where the lower part of the last I is clogged leaving the top part to appear to be part of your supposed G when it is next to the upright of the V. IV was not used to identify officina 4 though does appear on occasion as an error where the VI has been reversed in error as on my coin below.

Regards,
Martin

Offline Katharosteriphos

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 07:03:24 am »
Yo Martin, you're right. I just cleaned the mint mark a little, and it really says IV instead of IIG. Next time I'll check that first.

Thank you very, very much for your help! I think I'm wiser now  ;D
Probus' coins are indeed an interesting subject.

Thanx again & have a nice day!!

-kat
God is dead.
   -Nietzsche

Nietzsche is dead.
   -God

All coins are guaranteed for eternity