Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help id with chunky Greek coin pls  (Read 666 times)

coinbarrow

Help id with chunky Greek coin pls
« on: February 22, 2008, 09:56:45 am »
I'm totally stumped with this coin. I'm assuming it is Greek but you may know better. It is 21-22mm diam and a chunky 3mm thick. The lettering is tough to decipher but is it ETOVA and W either side of the eagle? Any help would be appreciated.   

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Re: Help id with chunky Greek coin pls
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 10:04:22 am »
It's a provincial coin of Aurelian, struck at Alexandria (Egypt).

Billion tetradrachm
obv: AKLDOMAVPHLIANOCCEB, , cuirassed bust right
rev: eagle standing left, head right, wings open and holding wreath in beak. ETOVC - e

Dattari 5489 (year 5 of Aurelian AD 273/274)

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

coinbarrow

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:10:33 am »
Blimey, that was quick.  Can you tell me what good refence book I could get for this ?  Something not too advanced perhaps.

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:18:33 am »
You may find useful "Alexandrian Coins" by Keith Emmett.

If you're interested to know the whole panorama of the literature on this subject, i sugget to read this topic:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=18927.0

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity