Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small provincial (AE 15)  (Read 458 times)

Offline krazy

• Consul
Small provincial (AE 15)
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:00:41 pm »
I think the coin is struck for Septimius Severus at Nikopolis ad Istrum, with the bust of his wife, Julia Domna, on reverse. I can read clearly on the reverse :Greek_Lambda:  :Greek_Omicron:  :Greek_Mu:  :Greek_Nu: _ _ _ _ :Greek_Omicron: and the final three letters of the obverse inscription: :Greek_Rho:  :Greek_Omicron: C . I found one example on Moushmov, no. 1025 (AMNG 1448v):

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/septimius_severus/_nikopolis_AE16_Moushmov_1025.jpg

Dany

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Small provincial (AE 15)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 03:11:04 pm »
Yes, definitely Severus + Domna from Nicopolis.

Steve

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Small provincial (AE 15)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:38:53 am »
Here, a little more legible.  There is more than one die-pair.  See Varbanov (Engl.) I, 2823–2825.  Pat L.
• 26 05 05 Æ16/17  3.04g  axis 9h  Nicopolis ad IstrumSeptimius Severus, laureate, head to r.  AV KAI SE    SEVEROS (unlike Pick's reading), but the seller copies Mushmov, who copied Pick, who had imperfect specimens)..  Rev., Julia Domna, draped bust to r.IO DO NIKOPOLIT PROS IS  (as Pick and Varbanov 2230)   Varbanov illustrates, 2228, which is from the Rousse exhibit, a different Julia die.  This one, with something wrapped around her waves, is unusual.  (For the Engl. edition Varb. nos., see above)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity