Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constans or Constantius II  (Read 659 times)

Muzz

Constans or Constantius II
« on: February 16, 2008, 07:56:41 pm »
I cant figure out who this coin belongs to.  Sorry about the bad scan but the info is as follows -

Obverse legend - CONSTANTINVS PF AVG (or similar)

Revers Type - Two Victories standing with wreath and palm.

EXE- SMTS?

The problem is that both Constans and Constantius II both seem to have the same type, including the palm between the victories.  How do I decide where it belongs?

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Constans or Constantius II
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 08:33:37 pm »
You can deduce some information from the length of the legend.  On this coin you can see clearly it begins CONSTA (no D N or FL IVL at the beginning of the legend) and seems to have only room for maybe 2 more letters on the left of the bust, and maybe 5-6 on the right.  From that I'd conclude that Constans is more likely, as his name is so much shorter, and that CONSTANS - P F AVG was the most likely of the obverse legends used.  If you are sure about the mint being Thessalonica I'd be more certain -  it would have to have 5 letters in the exergue for this type (SMTSA, SMTSB, Γ, Δ or Ε).

Steve

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 09:56:47 pm »
Hi Muzz, I agree again with Steve, I believe the legend of the obverse is CONSTANS-PFAVG and the bust would seem to be laurel + rosette diademed, draped and cuirassed, in this case is RIC VIII Thessalonica 105, rarity S, and in the exerge alone could have (according to Helvetica's spreadsheet) SMTS A, B or  :Greek_Gamma:

Saludos
Mario

Muzz

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 10:21:28 pm »
Thanks to you both, the Exerge is SMTSA.

By the way, I dont have RIC so S means Scarce?

Murray

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 11:23:29 pm »
yes scarce

All coins are guaranteed for eternity